Where to mount a go-pro knockoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VikingDives

Mostly Harmless
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
You pretty much have three options if you want any sort of usable video. GoPro mask or carry the camera with a tray/stick or clamp it to your shoulder harness with a locline arm. The latter option being the least streamlined, but someone does make it for sale.

Personally, if I'm diving (other activities) it goes on my XSfoto GoMask. If the mission is to take video it goes on my tray. But one thing is for sure, I don't dive without a camera. Never know what your going to find.

Pole is the best option in my opinion, it allows you to get that extra 2/3 feet closer to the subject,

There are several options for any type of mounting, however, keep in mind many of them lend to shaky video. After trying multiple options I ended up going with a tray and two lights. Almost everyone complained when I showed them a video that was not shot with a tray. The videos were jerky, shaky with rapid movement. The steadier the platform the better your video will be.

Remember, when you film something take extra time. You'll be amazed how a couple of seconds isn't long enough to watch. I've learned filming something for a while then take more time to film what ever it is. That also makes for easier editing.

If you only want a record of your dive then you can mount it somewhere but if you want to do underwater photography I suggest holding it so you can frame your subject effectively. The pole idea is especially good if your subject is inside of some coral or sponges etc. I like to take 20-30 second shots and hold the camera as steadily as possible.

There are several options for any type of mounting, however, keep in mind many of them lend to shaky video. After trying multiple options I ended up going with a tray and two lights. Almost everyone complained when I showed them a video that was not shot with a tray. The videos were jerky, shaky with rapid movement. The steadier the platform the better your video will be.

Remember, when you film something take extra time. You'll be amazed how a couple of seconds isn't long enough to watch. I've learned filming something for a while then take more time to film what ever it is. That also makes for easier editing.

100% agree on both points. Poles exaggerate shakiness due to the length of the moment arm. Trays are much more stable and allow you to add lighting (as noted) for even better video quality.

Highly recommend the book "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck." Has some great tips for the lay person.

Back
Top Bottom