Where to look for tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up two steel 72's with out of date inspections, two old regulators, a bunch of small stuff and a nice set of Turbo fins for free off of Craigslist. I'm not complaining.

Just say no to Craigslist unless you want crap from the 80s and 90s and aluminum tanks in the bad alloy no one will fill these days.
As you can see, Craigslist is where you get the desired 72's.
I picked up two steel 72's with out of date inspections, two old regulators, a bunch of small stuff and a nice set of Turbo fins for free off of Craigslist. I'm not complaining.
Same.

As you can see, Craigslist is where you get the desired 72's.
I typically buy out midwest dive shops as they go out of business. That how I wind up with hundreds of 72s.

Thanks everyone for the input. So now that I’ve acquired a set of doubles. I’d love some input on next steps. I don’t have them yet, will pick up within the next few weeks.

Report is last fill was 2008. Current pressure on the tanks is about 1k psi. So sounds like they have been reasonably stored.

Obviously will need hydro/vip. They are OMS lp95s. Don’t know if they are labeled lp98 or lp95. Looks like some variability from the Oms branded tanks. I have a shop that will test to the plus standard if ree is printed on the tank and they shipped with a plus regardless of what last hydro rating was.

Guessing I take the set apart when I bring them to the hydro shop? Valves already out when I take them there? Tape over the top? Or leave valves in to keep the interior safe?

Manifold should probably be fully serviced right? Not sure the make of the manifold. But valves will have to come out to have a full manifold rebuild right? Will send the manifold off likely. So maybe take the tanks apart and put some standard valves in until i get the manifold back?

Also need to take the boots off and make sure they have holes in them/drill holes if needed right?

Sorry for all the q’s. Noob here.

I have a couple steel 72’s I’ll part with.
Both have pretty fresh hydros, one is painted black with Awl Grip polyurethane system, and the other is zinced. 1967 and 1969

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom