where to hunt in the midwest??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New
Reaction score
looking to get into the sport of underwater hunting. what states in the midwest have lienient laws on where and what you can hunt? any newbie advice? thanks

It varies widely from state to state. Best to contact the fish and game dept for the particular state you want to go to.

I live in Oklahoma and only have a general idea about our regulations since i havent started hunting yet. I'm hoping Santa brings me a spear gun this year :D

FD

I'm new to this also, hope you got your speargun for Christmas, I didn't. Anyhow, I have some friends in South Missouri who say Arkansas has some of the most liberal spearfishing regs. around the midwest. Spearfisherman there can take half a line fisherman's limit on both gamefish and non-game species. In Missouri only non-game species are allowed, no bass or catfish, but in Arkansa, you can even take one striped bass a day and a few Walleye. Additionally, I've heard the vis is really good in some of the lakes in Northern Arkansas, up to 15 feet. Not bad for fresh water. Good luck! I didn't make it out last summer, but I'm committed to taking the time and getting it done this year.

I've just gotten a speargun this past week and am not far from Lake Powell. Actually expect to use it at the end of march in Naples, Fl. Hope the airliner allows me to take it on the plane...
Happy Hunting

Phil

Most of the midwest allows divers to hunt rough fish, Here in Oklahoma we hunt Carp, Gar, Buffalo and catfish. Flathead catfish are the most popular, because of the clean taste. Arkansas allows divers to hunt rough fish and lake by lake rules for some game fish. Many of the lakes have an open and closed season for different species. Lake Ouachita near Hot Springs has some huge Flathead Catfish, large schools of stripers, and best of all walleye. Their wildlife department has a web site giving the rules for each lake and seasons. Also, you can buy an out of state fishing license on line.

Ouachita also has several houseboat rental sites, hundreds of sandy islands and great vacations.

Sorry, I didn't finish reading your post. For help in beginning spearfishing, find a local dive store that carries spearfishing gear. For midwest lake diving. . . visability limited, JBL's 38 special is a common speargun for these conditions. For a little more money Riffe makes the 0S size metal tech with much more power. If you have questions send me a private message.

Back
Top Bottom