Where to go March - Apo Island / Sogod Bay / Anilao / Puerto Galera / Somewhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is sabang really good for diving or is it "fair" ? I am right now in mabini and been told bout this sabang. I am just afraid it's just an ok place to stay and just to party filled with tourists like in Thailand and that the diving is nothing special. I am on budget and looking for a place to stay and dive with ? Any recommendation ?

1. Better than Thailand except when compare with Similan.
2. Use public transport since you are already in Manila. Last ferry from Batangas Port to Sabang is 16:30.
3. Frontier, Sea Rider or South Sea etc recommended.
4. Not many divers left unimpressed! You have to find it out yourself.

Is sabang really good for diving or is it "fair" ? I am right now in mabini and been told bout this sabang. I am just afraid it's just an ok place to stay and just to party filled with tourists like in Thailand and that the diving is nothing special. I am on budget and looking for a place to stay and dive with ? Any recommendation ?
Somehow red light in Sabang, better when you go past big Lalaguna.
PG diving is good (Canyons for a fun ride, also lots of places for a coral/macro mix) but the best thing is when you get onboard a day trip to Verde island, probably the best dive site in the Luzon/Mindoro area.

Canyons is a great dive but may have raging currents where your bubbles may either go down or sideways. Having a reel and a balloon is highly recommended and may aid you in maintaining your depth during the safety stop.

Thanks guys, I'll then go to puerto galera, probably on sunday and do this verde island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I'll then go to puerto galera, probably on sunday and do this verde island.

Check out first who's going to Verde, it's a special whole day trip that will need prior booking.

Lots of different price ranges to choose from for accommodations, it all depends on what you want. For real budget stays, try Captain Greggs, which is right downtown and pretty much in the center of the party zone. Lots of others also, and the farther west you go along the Sabang beach areas, the quieter and more sedate things get. Also, the more expensive it seems to get. All this is what I have gleaned from lots of research, as I have never seen the place myself. That will change in 2 weeks, when we visit El Galleon for a week and a half. We will use the attached Asia Divers, although there are plenty of other operations to choose from there also. I will post an extensive review when we get back, as is my habit, but I am afraid that won't help much if you are there now. Good luck anyway, and tell us what you found.

We just got home from our trip. We did Sabang (PG) and Dumaguete. I wouldn't recommend trying to get to Dumaguete with an itinerary as tight as yours. Our Cebu airlines flight couldn't land because of wind, and we ended up getting off at Cebu and having to take a van to the ferry, an experience I wouldn't recommend to anybody.

On the other hand, if you like reefs, the reefs we dove off Sabang were as healthy and lush as any I've seen anywhere. We also found a fair number of fascinating critters (although to be honest, the guide found most of them!). And if you want to add muck diving to the trip, do the night dives in Sabang Bay! We did two and both of them were absolutely fabulous for finding weird and wonderful critters (including an enormous, BLUE shrimp, swimming in the water column, that I can't find in any of the books). Peter and I both agreed that the Dropoff at Verde Island was the best dive of the whole trip, with great structure, beautiful reef, and TONS of fish.

I don't know what your budget is, but we dove with Atlantis, and I cannot say enough good things about the resort or the professionalism of the dive operation.

1. Weather permitted.
2. Unless there is enough demand otherwise you have to charter your own boat.
3. Big Apple do put out notice to announce the trip otherwise you have to enquire around.
4. Some operators would only take experience divers over there.
5. If for whatever reasons you are unable to make it to Verde Island then Canyons, Horse's Head Reef are very good. You can also enquire about the latest sighting of thresher in Kelimar Step.
6. More than likely you will enjoy the place but...

Cool, I will go and check this capt's gregg place as I am on budget, and will check with who to dive with.
Centrals, where is this kelmar Step, my filippino crew didn't have a clue where that is ...
Otherwise no worry I am an enough experienced diver.
Btw, how warm is the water in PG 'cause in batangas it's 25 degrees celcius, really surprised me, was really expecting to be like in Indo 27 - 28 minimum, have to wear my shorty as usually I always used my 0,5mm lycra, what a change.

where is this kelmar Step, my filippino crew didn't have a clue where that is ...
Otherwise no worry I am an enough experienced diver.
Btw, how warm is the water in PG 'cause in batangas it's 25 degrees celcius, really surprised me, was really expecting to be like in Indo 27 - 28 minimum, have to wear my shorty as usually I always used my 0,5mm lycra, what a change.
Kelimar Steps, Kelimar Drift...it is just round the corner from the lighthose. Everyone knows where it is.
Few weeks ago the water temp was down to 23C!!! So do come prepared.
If you want a high octane drift then Kelimar Drift is great. This is the one that separate the experience dive-guide from the rest!! Might not be availabe if the ebb current is far too strong. There was a post on scubaboard 3yrs ago on couple of Korean divers who got separated from the dive and eventually picked up on the following day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom