Where to go in October that also has nice beaches for non-divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksalay

Registered
Reaction score
Hi ..

I am wondering where we should go in October that has nice beaches and excellent diving.

Our initial thought was Caymen but reading more says October until end of November is hurricane season.

Then we thought Bonaire but reading more it seems like there are not really aren't beaches and shade.

Any other suggestions for a 2 parents and 2 kids (4 months & 2 years) and au pair.

Thanks
Karen

Hi ..

I am wondering where we should go in October that has nice beaches and excellent diving.

Our initial thought was Caymen but reading more says October until end of November is hurricane season.

Then we thought Bonaire but reading more it seems like there are not really aren't beaches and shade.

Any other suggestions for a 2 parents and 2 kids (4 months & 2 years) and au pair.

Thanks
Karen

Hurricane season is from June - Nov every year in the whole Caribbean. You are running a slight risk of a problem with weather no matter where you go in October.

Best beaches - look at Turks & Caicos, Bahamas, Caymans, Belize outer islands, or maybe Playa del Carmen (Riviera Maya, Mexico)

Traveling with young kids like that, you might want to stick to the more modernized places with nice hospital facilities, etc. if needed.. I'd probably go to T&C, Caymans, or Bahamas

BTW, you really should fill out your profile so we can give you more information regarding where you fly out from, your diving history, skill level, etc.
robin:D

You are correct about the beaches in Bonaire. I love the place, but there isn't much to do there other than diving and wind surfing (your kids would probably be bored to tears).

On a cruise, my wife and I did one of our certification dives in Curacao and spent a few hours on the island. There seemed to be much more to do for everyone there and the area we dove was colorful an healthy (from what I remember). We also visited the Dolphin Academy where we swam with dolphins (a bit pricey, but the kids would love it). The nice part is that the dolphins appeared healthy and happy (unlike the dolphins we dove with in Tortola in 2006) and are in a gated area where the ocean flows in and out of their pen. I was also told (in 2004) that they were planning to offer dives outside of the pen with their dolphins. It sounded very interesting, but I haven't been back.

Good luck!

Negril, Jamaica.

Check out reviews of recent trips in the 'Greater Antilles' section.

Would suggest Beaches Sandy Bay - family and children orientated. Fantastic beach and price includes diving, in addition to glass bottom boat, sailing, water skiiing, kayaks etc etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom