Where to Go FIRST TRIP EVER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you are newly certified and you get seasick, I suggest Bonaire. Bonaire has very easy diving and almost all the dive sites are accessible from shore.

Any good hotel recommandation for Bonaire ?
I was thinking of a all included is it worthed ?

It depends on your preference budget. Me and my wife stayed at the Black Durgon Inn (English), which is a fairly low budget, hands off, place. We will be going back in February. You may want to check the following two sites on Bonaire:

Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information
Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire!

I'm just about to book my Trip
I was told to go to curacao instead of Bonaire by the Travel agency.
She tells me Diving is better more fish, More wreck and better overall shore diving. And since it's to good to be true it's also a bit cheaper.
I don't know what to think anymore
Anybody went to both places ?

Thanks
alex

She tells me Diving is better more fish, More wreck and better overall shore diving. And since it's to good to be true it's also a bit cheaper.

Thanks
alex

I have been to both. Shore dive sites in Curacao are farther apart than the ones in Bonaire so you spend more time driving to and from them. Not sure why the TA would tell you there are more fish as that is just not so. There are more large hotels and resorts on Curacao and the island itself is bigger and busier with more traffic and people. If you are interested in night life you would probably prefer Curacao. Bonaire is very laid back and quiet. Whichever you choose be sure to get hard soled booties as the shore line is rough on your feet. Another helpful link for Bonaire (in addition to the above) is Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter. Good luck with your choice.

I was told to go to Curacao instead of Bonaire by the Travel agency.

Thanks
alex

I have been to both. I don't know where the travel agent go the idea that there are more fish around Curacao than around Bonaire but there is more to do on Curacao when you are not diving than there is on Bonaire. As some one else mentioned Curacao is a larger island and is more developed than Bonaire.

There is good shore diving on either island.

You would be best to heed the other member's advice about using hard soled diving booties.

There are more flights in and out of Curacao than there are to Bonaire.

You will enjoy great diving regardless of which island you choose.

Thanks
alex
I think she is getting a bigger $$ commission for Curacao than Bonaire. Look at any dive magazine over the past 20 years, Bonaire is considered the top dive destination in Caribbean EVERY year for fishlife and value. Bonaire is not as upscale as Curacao, its more rustic and less touristy as the only people who go there are scuba divers and/or snorkelers. Lots more people go to Curacao for vacations to sit on beach and shop.

Either way, it is your first real dive trip, you will have great dives and a great time...... but she is blowing smoke when she says the diving is better in Curacao!

robin:D

Thanks
alex

Does your travel agency specialize in dive travel? They may just be comfortable with Curacao and know nothing about Bonaire.Bonaire is not called a "divers paradise " for nothing.The entire island is a marine park,Curacao is not-so where is more marine life to be found?
Hope you are not disappointed but Bonaire diving is better in that it is more accessable and easier to do in that getting around to go diving could not be easier and there is more support for diving there.What is the cost for the Curacao trip? Does it include unlimited diving,rental vehicle,free nitrox, boat dives,buffet breakfasts? To determine a true costs figure out how many dives you do and then come up with a total figure per dive it actually costs.On a Bonaire trip you can easily do 20 dives in a week-many people do 30-so the total costs on a per dive basis can be anywhere from $40-$56. or less. If interested for comparision pm me ,I have a group going to Bonaire in May,I'll give you whats involved and costs and you choose.

Depending on how long you are planning to go for, you could do both! Bonaire is a short 20 min flight from Curacao.

I highly recommend Grand Cayman. That's where we did our first ocean dives. You can't find a bad dive operation, and there is no current in the Cayman Islands. Sites a beautiful and well worth seeing.

Also, if you get seasick ask your doctor for a scopolamine patch that you place behind your ear - change every 3 days. We use it and it works great!

Enjoy your trip where ever you go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom