Where to go after Placencia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
6 years ago we planned to go cruising on a Moorings sailboat and do rendezvous diving from the boat [see Diving from a Moorings bareboat charter ], but got put off by thoughts of pirate attacks and went cruising in the Bahamas instead. Fast forward to now, other friends are going and it looks like the security has improved, so we're going to give it another shot in March 2019. Since we're going all that way, I figured after cruising we should go somewhere else in Belize as well, spend some time at a resort and get in more diving. Any recommendations for a very nice resort, we can easily get to, dive, and then get back to Belize City to fly home? For my wife, luxury is key. For me, great diving. So some place that offers both. We're thinking 4 or 5 days at the resort

I just booked flights today (I rarely plan this far ahead, but was warned we're going to be there during spring break), so any recommendations for good dive operators in Placencia that will rendezvous with a cruising sailboat for diving also appreciated

It's been six years since I was in Placencia, but I am going to get the reefs haven't improved much, or at all. It was some of the most depressing diving I have done - and that was at the start of my dive life. I've heard folks rave about Ambergris Cay. I can only say it should be better than Placencia.

Hamanasi - or even nicer - Turtle Inn.
Discover Hamanasi Resort | Award Winning Resort in Belize
Belize Resort and Spa, Luxury Coppola Hideaways Belize - Turtle Inn - it;s the director's family business.

Splash Diving is the go to operator in Placencia. Ralph Capeling here on the board owns it. IDK if they do Rendezvous diving - that only seems popular in the BVI's,
I rhink March is too early for Whale Shark diving - which only occurs around the full moon off Gladden Spit nearby. .This year the first week was Mar 31st-Apr 7th.

Go Sea Tours | Placencia is the only other operator I know of - just by name.

Last edited:
At Splash we do rendezvous with sailors who moor near one of our scheduled dive destination.
These are our dates for whale sharks in 2019:

March 20 to 31 (not recommended due low historic successful encounter rate)

April 19 to 30 (Good Friday April 19 and a very busy weekend in Placencia as lots of Belizeans come for Easter holidays)

May 18 to 29

June 17 to 28

Thanks Ralph. I've got your 2019 schedule you emailed me from my online inquiry. We're still working on plans, but want to dive there. We're going to be too early for whale sharks

It's been six years since I was in Placencia, but I am going to get the reefs haven't improved much, or at all. It was some of the most depressing diving I have done - and that was at the start of my dive life. I've heard folks rave about Ambergris Cay. I can only say it should be better than Placencia.

The Reef has recovered and has been removed from the endangered list

Do you want me to Google it for you

I found an article from June of this year saying it was taken off as not being as threatened from development and pollution as in the past.. I also found an article from around the same time last year that said coral cover had risen from 10% to 17%. I assume the 10% came from 2009, when the reef was placed on the endangered list. 17% doesn't exactly excite me, but it is a great improvement from 10% coral cover. I didn't see how much the macroalgae had decreased over that time, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom