Where to go after Komodo...Raja Ampat? Philippines? PNG? Solomons? Somewhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it will ever be.

PNG diving was already known 30 years ago when nobody could put any dive site of Indonesia on the map except for Bali, Bunaken and Maumere (weirdly enough Maumere was a big name in diving Indonesia before 92, thanks to Rudie Kuiter ), Raja 4 wasn't even heard about and look at the situation now.

On the marketing side , I don't give PNG a chance to develop like Indonesia :
- Tell the americans about the safety situation and how raskols can get into a resort anytime they like.
- Make sure the russians know there is no shopping possible around.
- Let the chinese acknowledge they can't expect asian food diet in the islands nor karaoke.
What is there left? Too far away and expensive for cheap europeans, the SP beer is too bitter and too less for ozzies.

It’s funny because it’s true.

My vote is for Raja. I would recommend LOB and then land based.
I did an 11 day LOB with 8 day land based last year.

Had the most amazing dives of my live with the Mermaid II in Komodo about a year ago, and looking to for my next solo adventure. Thinking somewhere between February to April of 2020.

Almost everything I look at is pointing me towards Raja Ampat, but wanted to check and see if there was reason to check out somewhere else instead. Looking to travel about 14-16 days, inclusive of travel time from New York.

A few notes about me / my thoughts:
1. I'm good diver, but certainly no expert. I was fine in Komodo, but only have about 100 dives under my belt, and haven't dived since.
2. I can get direct flights to Manila or Singapore, which is pretty tempting. I'm happy to do multiple connections to get to the right place, but less is more
3. Loved the liveaboard life, but happy to dive from land as well
4. I love macro life and healthy corals. Big stuff is great too, I do want a mix, but if I had to prioritize, macro is most important.
5. Going solo, if that matters

A few places I'm thinking of (but open to suggestions):
1. Raja Ampat
2. Philippines (Anilao, Apo Island, Tubbataha Reef, etc.)
3. PNG (not sure where)
4. Sipidan
5. Solomons
6. Palau

Thank you all! Open to any suggestions!!
Palau shouldn't be the bottom of any list, been twice, absolutely bang on it diving.

Another vote for Wakatobi - A+ diving and land based accommodation

Lemba Straits is stunning for macro, weird, crazy critters.

Alor is amazing on the right boat.
How does Wakatobi compare to R4 ?

Back
Top Bottom