where to get sony housing in HK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon I currently live in HK. Which housing are you looking for? There are a number of places you can look. Depends on which side you are on (Hong Kong island or Kowloon side). On the HK island side you can check the camera shops on Stanley St (Central district, near Lang kwai fong). There are a couple dive shops on Hennessey Rd. from Causeway Bay to Wanchai I know which may have housings (I forget if the dive shop I buy from had sony housings but my guess is they carry more of the specialized SLR type. I think your best bet is the camera shops). Another alternative is some of the computer centers (Wanchai Computer Center and 298 Computer Center) will have camera shops selling grey mkt camera goods (mostly from Japan) and they tend to have all the housings for the popular cameras. If you are staying in the Kowloon side, head over to Monkok and there are a number of well reputed camera shops. No idea about around the touristy Tsim Sha Tsui area which tends to be camera/electronics rip off central (avoid at all cost)...

I'll try to dig up some old biz cards and get numbers and addresses as I just recently got around researching places to buy my current u/w camera setup.

pakman:
Spoon I currently live in HK. Which housing are you looking for? There are a number of places you can look. Depends on which side you are on (Hong Kong island or Kowloon side). On the HK island side you can check the camera shops on Stanley St (Central district, near Lang kwai fong). There are a couple dive shops on Hennessey Rd. from Causeway Bay to Wanchai I know which may have housings (I forget if the dive shop I buy from had sony housings but my guess is they carry more of the specialized SLR type. I think your best bet is the camera shops). Another alternative is some of the computer centers (Wanchai Computer Center and 298 Computer Center) will have camera shops selling grey mkt camera goods (mostly from Japan) and they tend to have all the housings for the popular cameras. If you are staying in the Kowloon side, head over to Monkok and there are a number of well reputed camera shops. No idea about around the touristy Tsim Sha Tsui area which tends to be camera/electronics rip off central (avoid at all cost)...

I'll try to dig up some old biz cards and get numbers and addresses as I just recently got around researching places to buy my current u/w camera setup.

my trip got cancelled but my brother is going in my place. he will mainly be in harbor city, tsim sha tsui area. when we are in hongkong we hardly venture out vto mongkok or wanchai. the camera cases i need are for a sony cybershot dsc p10 and a UW case for canon ixus v3. these are older cameras so the amrine packs have been faced out but they still have them in shops as old stock. would it be possible to let me know or better yet give me the tel numbers and adresses of these shops?thanks in advance.

carlo

Spoon:
my trip got cancelled but my brother is going in my place. he will mainly be in harbor city, tsim sha tsui area. when we are in hongkong we hardly venture out vto mongkok or wanchai. the camera cases i need are for a sony cybershot dsc p10 and a UW case for canon ixus v3. these are older cameras so the amrine packs have been faced out but they still have them in shops as old stock. would it be possible to let me know or better yet give me the tel numbers and adresses of these shops?thanks in advance.

carlo

i think it'll be real tough finding housings for older models especially the sony's as they seem to discontinue older models very quickly and the stores wont keep old stock that often. I recall I had no luck finding a housing for a sony P9 a year ago. guess your best bet is to have your brother look around. I'll try to get you some store info soon.

pakman:
i think it'll be real tough finding housings for older models especially the sony's as they seem to discontinue older models very quickly and the stores wont keep old stock that often. I recall I had no luck finding a housing for a sony P9 a year ago. guess your best bet is to have your brother look around. I'll try to get you some store info soon.

thanks pakman.

OK. Here is a helpful website.
http://www.photo.net.ph/shopping/hongkong/

Wing Shing in Mongkok seems to be the most reputable in terms of buying legit cameras and I recall they had a good stock of housings (Oly, Canon, Sony) in the back.

Mongkok
If you take the MTR to Mongkok station, get out of the D3 exit for Sai Yeung Choi St. Shoud be on the same block walking away from the Argyle st. Also there a tons of other camera shops around that area so look around. Maybe you'll find someone who's got some old model housing.

if you need a better map use www.ypmap.com/eng and select search by street. For some reason I can't get the link in here.

As for Tsim Sha Tsui, I really don't know the area.

Hong Kong Island

Stanley St. (from Central MTR walk to Lang Kwai Fong). Just as you walk up the hill from Queens Rd Central, Stanley St. should be to your right. Keep walking up Stanley st until it crests. You'll see a lot of camera shops around there, but they tend not to carry all the housings in the shop (might need to order from their suppliers...)

Computer Stores
I mentioned Wanchai Computer Center but actually now I forget if they had cameras there. If you want to check you can go to Wanchai MTR Station (exit A4)Its right on Hennessey Rd (there is a McDonald's next to it). Also good if you need any computer gadgets..

298 Computer Center - From Wanchai Computer Center, walk east along Hennessy Road maybe 5 min or so. 298 Hennessy Rd is the address (its near where Johnston Rd intersects with Hennessy). Its on the right hand side (there's a neon 298 sign above the street but not lit and a seven eleven next to it). Its kind of hard to notice unless you're looking for it as the entrance is only an escalator. I think on 1st and 2nd floor towards the back, there are number of grey market camera shops.

Hope this helps

here is the telephone # for Wing Shing Photo in Mongkok (852) 2396-6886. you might want to call ahead to see if they have the Sony MPK-PHA and Canon WP-DC600 housings.

pakman:
here is the telephone # for Wing Shing Photo in Mongkok (852) 2396-6886. you might want to call ahead to see if they have the Sony MPK-PHA and Canon WP-DC600 housings.

thanks so much pakman, you have made my life easier, take it easy and will have updates soon

Just pm'd you bro. I have a dealer there. Might also want to check him out, he's a good guy. My family's been with him since the early 80s.

chip104:
Just pm'd you bro. I have a dealer there. Might also want to check him out, he's a good guy. My family's been with him since the early 80s.

thanks will certainly give him a ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom