Where to get OW certification in Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbrunken

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm planning on getting my OW certification in Maui later this month and I'm trying to settle on which dive shop I will go to for it.

I'm vacationing with my wife and in-laws so I'm going to be dependent on them for transportation. For that reason, I need something that is very close to Kaanapali where we will be staying.

Right now I'm leaning towards Lahaini Divers.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

-Jason

You might want to talk to Kidspot from this board. He's an independent instructor in the Lahaina area -- He does a really good job. I dove with a couple of his newly certified students last fall, and I was impressed.

If Tim isn't available, Lahaina Divers will do a good job for you. We were certified by them for both OW and AOW and felt our training was excellent.

Well, I ended up completing my certification through Lahaina divers. I really enjoyed my time in Hawaii and the people at Lahaina Divers were super friendly, super patient and super helpful. I would recommend them to anyone.

After getting my certification, I had the opportunity to dive at Molokini off one of the big snorkel boats (I would have rather done an actual dive charter, but I was the only diver in our party). Needless to say, Molokini was incredible. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the equipment that was provided on the dive. My depth gauge didn't work at all and my weight belt kept coming loose. I spent more time (and air) fighting with my weight belt and worrying about my depth then enjoying the dive, so that sort of sucked. But overall, my dive experiences in Maui were great.

The one think I found most suprising about Hawaii was the crazy high prices of just about everything. I honestly can't understand how anyone can not independently wealthy can afford to live out there.

Anyway, I can't wait to go back someday (when I can afford it again!).

-Jason

Congratulations on your new certification!! It's always nice to hear about good experiences in training with the various operators so we know who to recommend to future queries, and in this case it's nice to hear that Lahaina Divers is still providing quality instruction. :)

Back
Top Bottom