where to find proper Drysuit info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morpheus

Contributor
Reaction score
Other than looking at Sites online what are good ways to go about getting info on purchasing a Drysuit. I am looking into buying one but there seems to be many options (material of the suit,material of the seals. How different brands fit). People post what brands they have and like but how should a newbie find what suit is best for them? Should I take a drysuit class and learn how to dive it BEFORE purchasing one? or buy one that is recommended and take the class in IT. I feel strange talking to a LDS about it if I have intentions to buy it online (better price im sure). Its very tough to look for one when you have NO idea how they work. Also,when taking a class do they normally supply suits for you to use or do you rent one?

I got my orientation with my suit, for free. That's one of the benefits of buying from a brick-n-mortar store, if you buy online expect to pay for a class to orient you to the special buoyancy characteristics of a drysuit.

It all depends on what kind of diver you are as to what suit is right for you, if you believe that you only get the best, what you pay for etc you might want to spend more than someone else. If you're on a shoestring budget and only want to dive some fun dives in the NE then you can get into a drysuit for 600-700 bucks. These are as decent a suit as any other IMHO and not as costly should you find that they don't quite fill your need and want to upgrade later. A decent mid-market suit is going to run 12-1500 at a shop and maybe 1050 online (Divetank has some deals).

I prefer my compressed neoprene suit to a tri-lam, I dove both (borrowed from friends) before purchase. I felt the bag suit required too much air and clothing to keep warm whereas the neoprene keeps me warm even when I get wet. (You'll flood yours one day too). One thing to consider is the seals, latex will run you a bit more but they are much less susceptible to seepage, are cheaper to replace, and can accomodate most aftermarket dry-glove systems if you don't go for the factory-attached gloves. But I would recommend getting the factory installed gloves. I have the Si-Tech rings which work, but they're kind of high maintenance, am really considering the Vikings now. But if you're diving cold water like I am most of the time (35-45 at the bottom) wet gloves suck!

CD_in_Chitown:
I got my orientation with my suit, for free. That's one of the benefits of buying from a brick-n-mortar store, if you buy online expect to pay for a class to orient you to the special buoyancy characteristics of a drysuit.

It all depends on what kind of diver you are as to what suit is right for you, if you believe that you only get the best, what you pay for etc you might want to spend more than someone else. If you're on a shoestring budget and only want to dive some fun dives in the NE then you can get into a drysuit for 600-700 bucks. These are as decent a suit as any other IMHO and not as costly should you find that they don't quite fill your need and want to upgrade later. A decent mid-market suit is going to run 12-1500 at a shop and maybe 1050 online (Divetank has some deals).

I prefer my compressed neoprene suit to a tri-lam, I dove both (borrowed from friends) before purchase. I felt the bag suit required too much air and clothing to keep warm whereas the neoprene keeps me warm even when I get wet. (You'll flood yours one day too). One thing to consider is the seals, latex will run you a bit more but they are much less susceptible to seepage, are cheaper to replace, and can accomodate most aftermarket dry-glove systems if you don't go for the factory-attached gloves. But I would recommend getting the factory installed gloves. I have the Si-Tech rings which work, but they're kind of high maintenance, am really considering the Vikings now. But if you're diving cold water like I am most of the time (35-45 at the bottom) wet gloves suck!
Yeah I dont do more than recreational diving here in NE. Im not looking for "the best" just something that works for me. I dont want to spend more than $1000. on one either. I have been looking into them for a while but feel that without at least in "intro" class I dont know really what I should be looking for...rings???suspenders?? trek boots?? attatched boots???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom