Where to find great shark encounters this time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just found out I have a weeks vacation starting Wednesday, talk about short notice =)

With that said, I would love to find somewhere in the Caribbean where shark encounters are fairly common. So far all I've been able to come up with is the Bahamas. Not that this would be a bad choice...I just want to see if there are any other options I should be considering this time of year.

A little background. I'm fairly experienced (350+ dives) and very comfortable (and respectful) around sharks. In the wild I've cage dived with Great Whites (much of the time I stood on top of the cage), I've also been in the wild with Sand Tigers, Caribbean Reefs, White Tip Reefs, Black Tips, Nurse, etc. I also volunteer at two aquariums where I get to dive with Sand Tigers, Lemons, Black Nose, Nurse and White Tip Reefs in their tanks on a pretty regular basis.

I would love to see some of the sharks I've never seen in the wild before.

Unfortunately time is short and I really need to pick my destination today...thanks for any advice you may be able to offer me.

Some options - maybe you know about these already but...

How about the other big boys...Tigers (not Sand Tigers) at Tiger Beach. Freeport is easy to get to also. Welcome to Stuart Cove's Newest Dive Operation at Old Bahama Bay Resort, West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas It's a feed though afaik.

Turks/Caicos - seeing reef sharks out at West Caicos or French Cay - from Provo (Providenciales) - is almost a given. We dove two days at French Cay and saw several sharks on every single dive - end of May. But typically Caribbean Reef sharks. Caicos Adventures does both locations several times a week. About a 45min. ride so 2 tanks will pretty much be the whole day. There's a Comfort Suites that may be one of the more reasonable places to stay.

Or Bimini - I haven't done this yet: Experience Shark Encounters at Bimini - Learn about shark research at Shark Lab

Reactions: JRO
Both looked great Steve...and unfortunately both seem to have the same company handling their phone calls. The Big Game Club in particular looks interesting. They should fire the people answering their phones and go back to doing it themselves.

I'll try emailing them to get more details....hopefully they have someone competent reading their emails.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom