Where to do PADI Open Water in late June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another place to look into is Scandi Divers or their sister resort, Campbell's Beach - both located in Big La Laguna right outside of Puerto Galera. Great staff, affordable diving packages, rooms to suit your needs, and an onsite restaurant. Plus, you just can't beat the dive sites: fish, turtles, sharks, coral, caves and canyons...and the water temp averages around 29c year round.

The first place that comes to mind for me would be Puerto Galera. It's a great place to take a course, due to lots of dive shops and instructors, as well as easy access from Manila. For an uncertified diver, I don't think it is worth the hassle of travelling somewhere more remote, especially if time is limited.

I think pretty much anywhere in Philippines, a low student to teacher ratio is the norm.

I agree about Puerto Galera, especially if time is a factor. Very easy to get to PG from Manila, good diving and many dive shops to choose from.

+1 for Puerto Galera. Just took AOW there at Blue Ribbon divers. Great ratio and awesome instructors. We loved Marcus. Also they are American and British retired army so they run a tight and safe ship. Finally the reefs there are stunning and close by and start shallow which is great for new divers. Pretty easy from Manila, they can help you figure that out. Value is also really great. Lots of young, fun clientele and staff there too.

---------- Post added May 30th, 2015 at 02:31 PM ----------

Puerto Galera Resort & Diving in Puerto Galera - Puerto Galera Resort & Diving in Puerto Galera at Blue Ribbon Dive Resort

i'll chime in and second vote either puerto galera area or dauin. i think the earlier posts have touched on the benefits of both. would like to add that cathay pacific flies non-stop west coast (or east coast) to their hong kong hub. you can connect with another cathay pacific flight to cebu city. in cebu city it is a not too inconvenient overland trip to dumaguete, or a puddle jump on a prop plane with cebu pacific. if staying in dauin it is a good idea to rent one of the ubiquitous 125cc 'motorcycles' out of dumaguete and keep it with you for the week.

if you had to pin me down i would opt for the puerto galera area. the pros and cons of each beach are discussed in a series of earlier posts. but the short of it is if the area bores you you are best off staying home.

Thanks, everyone for all the awesome advice. I ended up going with Dauin. I watched someone's gopro video of the reef at Apo Island and was sold. Also, I actually like the idea of going somewhere remote.

I'll be staying 6 night at Liquid Dumaguete, arriving 6/26, and doing the Open Water course there. If anyone is nearby let me know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom