where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seastarr2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was hoping you all could help me out. I'm flying into Ft. Lauderdale in a couple of weeks and want to do some diving. Where should I head? Should I go to the Lower Keys or where else? Any great dive operators that I should look for? I should also specify that I like reef dives and am not much into wrecks. Thanks a bunch!

i'm not from Florida (wish i was) but from what i have read on here, you could stay right there in Ft. Lauderdale and do some beautiful diving. also if you want to, you can go down in the keys but you dont really have to go all the way to the lower end, there is just as much if not more places to dive in the upper keys. this might help you out a little, check out the places there are to dive in the keys here... http://www.upperkeysdivesites.com/

steve

DmSteve is right, some of the best diving in Florida is right here in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. We have some great beach diving as well as nice reefs and fantastic wrecks. Check out Pro Dive and American Dream II. Both are very good dive ops and can set you up with some great diving. Of course there are many many more good shops in this area, these are just two that I know well. You can check out Dixie Divers for a list of the dive sites in this area.

Hope you have fun when you come down and let us know if you need anymore info.

... depends on how much time you *really* have to dive.

The Keys would be a priority for me, and Key Largo is fine as far as that goes. The reefs are great, and though you aren't into wrecks so much those in the Keys are GREAT.

You don't have to drive far to dive, however, if you're in Ft. Lauderdale. Just about any local dive operator is great, here. We all have our preferences and they're more or less equally distributed between outfits, so that tells me we're in good hands wherever we dive.

Ft. Lauderdale has great shore diving in addition to boat dives, depending on the weather. Nobody's bored with our local reefs anywhere from the north area of Ft. Lauderdale beach up to the Commercial Blvd. Pier (Angler's) and a little beyond. We get together whenever the weather is cooperative, so post to start a shore dive or just join one already planned.

If you're looking for a place to stay, look for anything on El Mar in Lauderdale by the Sea in the vicnity of the Holiday inn - prices are reasonable and you can gear-up in your room it's so close to the beach!

Palm Beach County has some excellent diving, though you should time the drive to avoid traffic. I wouldn't discourage anybody from diving up around West Palm Beach.

Soo..... if I were planning a trip for somebody, I'd hotel them in Lauderdale by the Sea on El Mar and plan the first trip for the Keys. The rest of the trip would be boat & beach diving locally (includes Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, etc.). Then, if you want a change, you can always return to the Keys or head up to the West Palm Beach area.

seastarr2:
SNIP...Where should I head? Should I go to the Lower Keys or where else? Any great dive operators that I should look for?

Wow! Thanks so much for all the information. I guess that I just cant go wrong diving anywhere around there. Now I have some decisions to make. Sun here I come!

I think if you have time, you should definately try to get up to West Palm Beach. I dive mostly with Jim Abernathy up there and the diving is simply amazing. Ocean Safari in Miami is also super-terrific!

Depending on where you staying is the key question. I have been organizing night beach dives. If your interested in that PM me and we'll see what we can arrange for you. also let me know if you need gear etc.

Joe :bandsmlz: :wave-smil

Waterbabie:
I think if you have time, you should definately try to get up to West Palm Beach. I dive mostly with Jim Abernathy up there and the diving is simply amazing. Ocean Safari in Miami is also super-terrific!

I dove with his shop a year ago, outstanding dive. Super friendly staff and they know their stuff.

Wstein

I'm new to the Miami area but have dived from West Palm to Key West for the past 3 years. There is some very nice beach diving off of Ft. Lauderdale beach (cheap and close! - several members of ScubaBoard are there regularly. You can set up a meeting in this forum.), nice drift and wreck diving off of West Palm (Deep (~100 ft) wreck then two tanks of drift diving over an amazing reef - I used Koller's Reef and had a great experience), and lots of shallow reef and interesting wreck diving off of the upper keys. (I like Silent World dive center in Key Largo. Safe, friendly, reasonably priced - do the Spiegel Grove with them - it's amazing!)

Like somebody said above, Dixie Divers has a great web site that shows many of the sites in the Key Largo/Boca area in nice detail.

If you need a dive buddy, just drop me a personal message with your schedule and location.

Good luck,
Grier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom