Where to dive while in Scotland this summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, for Kurt, I think that the decision depends on if he is ever going to be back in Scotland.

If he knows he will be coming back, I would suggest putting off Scapa, and in the meantime do the PADI Deep, and rescue, and even an advanced Nitrox / deco procedures course, so that he can really take advantage of the wrecks there.

Now, if it is a one-off, and he might not be coming back to Scotland, or at least not in the envisageable future, then do it, just to say that you have, and try and get at least the PADI deep specialty before he goes (or find somebody that can do it with him there, on the wrecks).

So Kurt, what do you think?

Jon

Bear in mind that in the UK in general dive charters don’t operate as they do in the US. There won’t be a DM employed by the boat leading a group of divers. If you book on a boat yourself you’ll have to sort yourself out with a buddy or dive alone (if the skipper permits solo diving).

Diving from a UK charter is your own responsibility; no-one is going to query whether you’re using tables or a computer or how you use them. I’ve never been asked to show my qualifications on a UK dive boat. Generally you fill out a Next of Kin details form, so they know who to contact in an emergency and give a note of your expected dive time, so they know if you’re overdue. Dive boats are almost invariably operated as live boats (if wreck diving a descent line will deployed) and either have a lift or a dive ladder, in either case you get back onto the boat fully kitted (no taking fins off to climb a ladder). Don’t worry about this, Skippers are always very good at bringing the boat alongside you. Diving from a RIB you will remove all your kit except fins and pass it up before finning/hauling back aboard. Deployment of a dsmb from around 6 metres is pretty much expected nowadays unless you come back up the descent line.

If you want to go on an organized trip with a DM to lead you round then you’ll need to book through a shop onto one of their scheduled trips (or they might arrange one just for you, especially if you just want to shore dive). A trip like this will look at your qualifications and be much more active in looking after you but computer diving is pretty much standard here.

I suggest contacting Edinburgh Diving Centre – they’ll be able to hire you cylinders etc. and put you on one of their trips or arrange one for you.
Edinburgh Diving Centre

Alternatively, log on to Finstrokes and ask on the forum if anyone is diving when/where you want to dive:
Finstrokes

You’ll probably find someone who’ll help you, possibly lend you a cylinder etc. and the dive guide map is extremely useful in deciding where you’d like to go.

On the east coast the water temperatures are a little bit cooler but generally there is slightly better visibility. However, the east coast is much more exposed and weather dependent. The west coast sea lochs (Loch Long and Loch Fyne) are an easy drive though and you will be able to dive there regardless of the weather. Water temperature is slightly higher but visibility generally poorer in the west.
Driving to Oban from Edinburgh and back is possible in a long day and Puffin Dive Centre do offer a shuttle RIB service and you can hire a dive guide. It’s not cheap and they’re not my taste but they might suit you;

Puffin Dive Centre - Scuba Diving, Commercial Diver Training

Edinburgh to Scapa and back in a day just wouldn’t be possible. It’s a five hour drive to the ferry ports. However, if you had a weekend then it is a practical proposition. Scapa Scuba would be your best bet as an individual diver rather than the usual group of 12 chartering one of the boats.

Dive Scapa Flow Orkneys - Scapa Scuba

Thanks Hickdive, I hadn't thought about the diving style in the UK being different.

I still say Puffin divers out of Oban (actually Gallanach) is probably the best bet. I have been on their super ribs a number of times and they have always been good, and the diving in the Sound of Mull is pretty damn good.

Puffin do accept single divers, provided there is space on the boat, or the boat hasn't been reserved by a group fore something special like a deep wreck far away. We have had single divers paired with us in the past, and never had a problem.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom