Question Where to Dive in the Philippines That's NOT Focused on Muck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm diving at El Galleon in Puerto Galera in March 2025 and would like to continue from there and dive somewhere else in the Philippines that is not a muck-centric location. I don't mind doing a muck dive on occasion, but I don't want to go somewhere that that's the focus of the diving. Any recommendations for locations and resorts? A/C is a requirement.

Thanks!

There are so many choices as most dive areas in the Philippines are not really muck focused. Anilao and Dumaguete being the exception.

An easy jaunt from PG without air travel is to head up to Subic Bay on Luzon and dive wrecks. March is a great month for diving the wrecks in the bay. This is easy to do by bus. Lot's of lodging You want to stay in Barrio Barretto. They all have AC.

Mango's Resort and Mango's Dive Center. mangosdivecenter.com

Anything else will require air travel.

AC won't be an issue.
Malapascua + Southern Leyte is more than adequate alternative to PG. Snorkeling with the whaleshark in the winter is the added bonus in Sogod Bay.

There is great non-muck diving right at PG...lots of reefs, walls, and drift dives. Also, the verdant underwater world of Verde Island is dived from PG as well. If you want a change of scenery, hop a plane or overnight ferry to Cebu and dive Moalboal, or if time permits head up to Malapascua Island. Another alternative is Bohol, with dives at Panglao/Balicasag islands and Cabilao, none of which are macro focused dive areas.

I am diving at PG at the moment. Lots of rain in the country at this time of the year. Vis is NOT that great but has improved immensely from last time I was there(Feb 25).
Southern Leyte is the place and fortunetely very few divers had been there because of the location.
No riff raff!

Coron is great for wreck diving. Bot do make sure to stay near those big wrecks otherwise it is a full day trip from the town.

The private return transfer between NAIA and PG is US$600.00 if one has no one to share the cost.
A cheap return fare between Manila and Tacloban by Cebu Pacific is a cool P2,500.00(US$47.00), check bag is extra. But need to book ahead with this promotion fare. There is 5 flights a day to choose from. Tacloban to Sogod Bay is P5,000.00 one way by private transfer.
To suggest Bohol is plainly too long in the teeth ie. no other knowledgable suggestion even by searching hard on internet. LOL.

There are so many choices as most dive areas in the Philippines are not really muck focused. Anilao and Dumaguete being the exception.

An easy jaunt from PG without air travel is to head up to Subic Bay on Luzon and dive wrecks. March is a great month for diving the wrecks in the bay. This is easy to do by bus. Lot's of lodging You want to stay in Barrio Barretto. They all have AC.

Mango's Resort and Mango's Dive Center. mangosdivecenter.com

Anything else will require air travel.
Anilao a muck focussed dive area...really? Only a few sites are mud sites. Most being coral full of life :)
I would say that in Subic, with a few exceptions, the wrecks are all in the mud :) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom