Where to dive in SW FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim-O

Registered
Reaction score
Heading to Florida for work in a few weeks (just dropped on me today), will be in Sarasota for a few days and then planning on hanging around for 3 or 4 days of diving... where should I dive? I may do a shark tooth dive for the experience - but I am guessing a drive to the keys will be best option for good diving? Any other locations to consider this time of year? I will be traveling alone - so would prefer to dive with an op/guide. Searching past threads as well...

Jupiter, West Palm Beach, Boynton and Pompano are all good choices and closer. The Keys are awesome as well. In Jupiter and WPB, the diving is all drift diving and if you're diving nitrox, you can hang out with the in-water guide that is trailing the float ball. The in-water personnel's main job is to man the reel and float ball, so if you swim away, you'll be on your own. Additionally, if you're diving air, the guide will stay down until the last nitrox diver surfaces..... so on air, you'll be surfacing alone. Most of the operators in Boyton and Pompano won't put guides in the water, but you can team up with an insta-buddy. You can hire a truly personal guide in all four locations from any shop. Blue Heron Bridge in WPB is a cool macro beach dive. Lauderdale by the Sea has great beach diving.

In the upper Keys, Rainbow Reef and Islamorada Dive Center put guides in the water. At almost all other shops in the Keys, you'll team up with an insta-buddy or you can hire a guide. I dive with RR and Conch Republic Dive center frequently and like both. In the SE Florida area, I've dove with Jupiter Dive Center (my #1 operator), Narcosis, Sandy's Sunday, Splash Down, Underwater Explorers, Pompano Dive Center, Scubatyme and South Florida Dive HQ.

I've never dove in Tampa, but there are dive operators in the area. I hear Tanks a Lot recommended quite often

Aristakat in Venice, for the shark tooth dives.

The Mohawk is a great dive. I believe there is a charter out of Port Charlotte.

awesome - Thank you all... Maybe I will stay for a few more days and travel around a bit more than originally planned.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom