Where to dive in Fuji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrmiller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are looking to go to Fiji and we want to stay in a community like cozumel. We enjoy diving, culture, shopping and restaurants. We don't want to stay at an all inclusive. We would like to do a shark dive like Beqa. Any recommendations where to go in Fiji? Also hotels and dive shops? We will be going for 7 days in January 2019.

Shark diving in Pacific Harbor is away from town. I stay at Uprising Resort and dive with Beqa Adventure Divers.

Kadavu and Taviuni islands, you dive from resorts. Check out Naia liveaboard, great operation.

Bula, There isn't really a place like Cozumel in Fiji as resorts are generally a little isolated with limited transport between them. Pacific Harbour as Boris says above is the closest. There are 2 operators there, Aquatrek and Beqa Adventure Divers who both offer shark dives and coral dives in the Beqa Lagoon. The accommodation options there are, in order of ascending cost, Club Oceanus, Uprising and the Pearl. There are some very down market places there aimed at backpackers and a few private villa rentals, which are are nice option for self catering and great if there is a small group.
Perhaps your best bet might be one of the bigger dive centric resorts, specifically Beqa Lagoon Resort, Volivoli or Wananavu. All these offer a full on dive experience and account for a big chuck of Fiji's diving. There are smaller places with diving as a main feature like Matava and several resorts on Taveuni, both of which require an internal flight to reach - but arguably very worth while.
And of course the 2 live-aboard boats, Naia as mentioned above and Island Dancer II, operated under the Aggressor franchise (the boats name is actually Sera-ni-Wai) Both good, but Naia is the better product for sure. If you have 2 weeks, split it between 2 locations, or possibly 3.
Happy to give more details if you want.
Have a great trip.
Greg

Anyone had diving experience around Savusavu on the island of Vanua Levu? We are looking at staying at the Jean Michel Cousteau Resort for a vacation in August of 2019.

Fiji Palms in Pacific Harbor is a pretty nice place, and it is very close to two dive ops as well as many topside activities, restaurants, and things to do....including The Arts Village Bula! Welcome to Arts Village Pacific Harbour
Condo style two bedroom units with full kitchen (grocery store nearby if you want to self-cater) etc etc. Nice pool and a restaurant on site for when you don't want to venture out but not all inclusive and other restaurants close by. Right on the beach.
The resort is back off from the road in a nice setting, but one dive op is right across the road...easy walking distance.
The other used to pick up at the dock at The Pearl, which is right next door....not positive if they still do or not.

It is a timeshare resort, but they have never bothered us with asking us to do any kind of tour or sit through a presentation. I don't think they even do those things there, so don't worry about that.

Personally, I would go to one of the out islands as I think the diving is better there than in Pacific Harbor. But others love diving Pac Harbor, and if you are looking for a Cozumel type of situation this is a close as you will find in Fiji as far as I know.

I have a ton of timeshare points and may be able to help you with a pretty good room rate if you decide to go the Pac Harbor/Fiji Palms route.

I am looking at the Fiji / Bali and noticed January is the wet season. Has anyone been there during that time?
Some sites say January is a great time and others say not

Yes, January is in the wet season. However, the Fijian islands cover a rather large area and the weather can vary a LOT depending on just where you decide to go. The Pacific Harbor are is one of the wettest. Going there in Jan you would be taking your chances on the weather. The Yasawas are much drier and I wouldn't hesitate to go there in Jan, but you won't find the very best diving Fiji has to offer in the Yasawas either. We had a great time at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort in the Yasawas, and I did a LOT of dives there. I found it to be good diving and if I went back I would certainly dive but, again, the best diving in Fiji is to be found elsewhere.

Anyone had diving experience around Savusavu on the island of Vanua Levu? We are looking at staying at the Jean Michel Cousteau Resort for a vacation in August of 2019.
Diving around Savusavu is ok but you’d be better off around Taveuni ( rainbow reef and close to the Great White Wall) or diving Bligh water from Wananavu or Voli Voli

Just got back from Fiji and Tonga today.
I did stay in Uprising resort in Pacific Harbor and dove 3 days with Beqa Adventure Divers. The resort exceeded my expectations. Really friendly and accommodating staff. The restaurant has a great sea view and has a touristy show once a week.
I only did shark diving with Beqa Adventure Divers, they do that 5 days a week. I didn't do any reef diving. It's not my first time diving with them. If everyone on the dive follows the rules, it's a very cool experience. We had a group from mainland China and they were rude, pushy and guides had to restrain then from going over the viewing wall. Fijian guides were too nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom