Where to Dive in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgra

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi There,
We are considering a dive trip in December to either Belize or Honduras, maybe Costa Rica, I'm not sure. Time span: Dec. 14-22.

Does anybody know what is best for conditions this time of year?

Last year we went to Curacao and Bonaire in mid-November and it was really horrible (rained the whole time).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

It is winter so rain and ruff seas are pretty common. Try Indonesia.

Hi There,
We are considering a dive trip in December to either Belize or Honduras, maybe Costa Rica, I'm not sure. Time span: Dec. 14-22.

Does anybody know what is best for conditions this time of year?

Last year we went to Curacao and Bonaire in mid-November and it was really horrible (rained the whole time).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

rainy season in the Caribbean runs from Oct-Jan, most people will tell you. It can be sunny for several days and then rainy for several days, no guarantees either way. Also, you are more likely to have rough seas so you may not get out diving for several days due to the winds. It is winter, even in Caribbean.

the best time to go to the Caribbean?
Any month of the year has its good points and bad points. Jan-Apr is usually "high" season, meaning prices are highest but water is cooler and vis is usually best. Apr-June is mid-season, rates are a bit lower everwhere but some people won't go then as you might see thimble jellies during that time. July-Oct is low season, lowest prices, because it is very hot and humid with rain showers common and it is also Hurricane Season so you trip may be completely blown out or by a storm. Oct-Dec is the rainy/windy season and though prices can be a steal during this time, holiday weeks are usually double $$$.
Any month of the year you can have PERFECT weather or HORRIBLE weather in the Caribbean.

robin:D

Hey Robin...maybe consider the Big Island of Hawaii. You will have calm seas, 83 deg. and sunny. The cost will be about the same as the Carribean and much less than Indo.. The Manta Ray night dive is considered to be one of the top ten dives in the world. You'll not get a more manatastic show anywhere. :wink: Kona Honu Glenn

Hey Robin...maybe consider the Big Island of Hawaii. You will have calm seas, 83 deg. and sunny. The cost will be about the same as the Carribean and much less than Indo.. The Manta Ray night dive is considered to be one of the top ten dives in the world. You'll not get a more manatastic show anywhere. :wink: Kona Honu Glenn

The OP is named Matt, he is the one asking where to go. Read his post, he is asking for Dec and I don't think calm seas, 83 degrees and sunny are guaranteed in Kona in December. I was there in early Nov 3yrs ago, diving with your company as a matter of fact, and the water temps were 78-80 at best.

Bonaire. Been there in "rainy season", Jan, and not anything like northern Caribbean islands, the Keys that time of year. Not a lot different than in the summer, other than occasional rain. Water in the 80's

MAtt...you are correct that the H2o temp is in the high 70's, and I also are correct that the days are about 83 and Sunny...In my next life I want to be the weatherman for Hawaii as the days are cosistant..ha ha! Been here a decade and we have not had to cancel, maybe 2 to 5 times due to high swell. Our rough day is about normal day in the Carib. We are spoilled on the lee side of the Big Island. Otherwise I still remain with calm seas 99% of the year. You have to live to expieriencethe conditions. Gotta go...diving is waiting this AM. G

Kona is often snubbed because of the colder water - be that what it may. Not REALLY cold. 77-80 degs F from Dec through April. Wearing a hooded vest makes a BIG difference and some are comfortable in a 7 mil and others use a 3 mil, 5 mil with a hooded vest pretty much is a happy medium. You can find fair air fares if you do your homework. Konatown is a great place to hang. Lots of topside places to go. Shore diving is a bit of a chore but still all and all good diving. You will always be able to dive off a boat - unlike other destinations. The seas rarely, and I do mean RARELY, are the least bit ruff and most dive sites have minimal or no drift/current. The fish life is slowly increasing from previous years. From November through March you hear the humpback whales under water and often see pilot whales, dolphins, and humpbacks topside. The night dives are ones you won't see any place else. The Pacific Manta Foundation has done wonders to protect these beautiful giants of the sea. One can't help but fall in love with the mantas after one night dive. The pelagic dark water dives are also VERY exciting. In Kona, the day and night temps are very comfortable all year around.
Happy Fishes!!

Matt- was in Belize and then Honduras two years ago over Dec Jan 2 years ago- of the two would recommend Honduras - much much better value. Caught a storm at start of week but beautiful aferwards- Utila and Roatan are the main islands just offshore from La Ceiba, Utila is a dive dive dive kind of place-small no roads people there for diving and partying (spent NY there)> Roatan bigger and more to do when not diving. Was good viz after storm settled down- temp was good form me but then i dive in the Irish Sea so maybe I'm not the best judge!!

Eastern Part of Indonesia: Raja Ampat, & Ambon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom