Where to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bugsy700

Registered
Reaction score
I have decided to begin purchasing my own gear so I don’t have to rent anymore. In another thread I posed I received a common response to buy my wetsuit first. My question is should I buy locally or through the internet. Although the internet seems to offer better prices I am worried about fit since I wont be able to try it on. Should I just “bite the bullet” and purchase locally or buy online and possibly have to return it?

Bugsy700:
I have decided to begin purchasing my own gear so I don’t have to rent anymore. In another thread I posed I received a common response to buy my wetsuit first. My question is should I buy locally or through the internet. Although the internet seems to offer better prices I am worried about fit since I wont be able to try it on. Should I just “bite the bullet” and purchase locally or buy online and possibly have to return it?

Bugsy700: Do a little internet surfing and find the brands and prices that interest you. Go in to Divers Paradise or Aqua Hut and, in a polite manner, tell them you are shopping and interested in a wetsuit. Hopefully they will respond in a positive way and help you find the suit for you. If you start getting a lecture about the evil internet, or warranty issues, or having one brand slamed, you might consider talking to Larry and Joe @ www.scubatoys.com, Jim Herndon @ www.scuba.com or many other good stores with good advice and fair pricing.

Bugsy, what kind of wetsuit are you looking for? I have a brand new (well I did use it once, then went dry) Henderson Gold Core 7mm farmer. I'll be posting it in the gear for sale forum soon. If your interested let me know what size you are, height, weight, etc..

Bugsy700:

What do you consider pain?

Buy Online:
May or may not fit when you get it, be prepared for UPS roulette
May very well get the best price
Short of visting stores to see and touch you're buying from a picture

IMO trying a suit on locally to order it online is unethical.

Buy Locally:
You will walk out with a suit that fits, even if it takes a few shops to find it.
Dicker with a reasonable dealer and you should approach online pricing.
If there's an issue you have local eyes to look at things and serve you.

I have done both. Suit 1 I paid too much to a local carriage trade dealer. Suit 2 I had a great deal but it took 6 weeks of UPS roulette to get it all right. One item shoed up tagged wrong so it didn't fit. You never know. I now know of some reasonable dealers in my region that will get my buisness next time if dealer one still won't compete.

Pete

Tried the online buy for the wife and I for wetsuits. After I sent the third ones back, went to my LDS and tried some on and walked out with ones that fit great. By the time I sent the third ones back, I had spent so much on shipping the Internet was no longer cheaper. Buy local, get it quicker and unless you're lucky on the first order, it'll end up being the same price.

In my case, I just wasted an extra $65.

Bugsy700:
IMHO it's better to see/ know what you're getting. Trying them on, shopping around, etc. Some shops want to make the sale, they will match or come close to the price you can get online. Taking a chance on getting it right with the online thing doesn't compare to the peace of mind you have knowing you walk out of the store with the suit you want. BTW- it's my personal opinion that supporting your LDS by making local purchases is best for all in the long run. You have to have your gear serviced somewhere...

I think it is totally depending on your body size and location (travel cost). In our case, my GF and me, we bought all suit off the internet. We had to drive 2:30 hrs, order it through catalog, and pay MSRP if we want to buy it locally. Yes, local LDS didn't have it in stock. The internet shops we dealt with are all LDSs in their area. If you aren't unique size or shape, I don't think the size willn't be a big issue based on the size chart. No matter what you have, it isn't a custom made so that it can't give a perfect fit. And, some internet providers (Scuba.com and Scubatoy) an exchange policy if it doesn't fit.
New materials, such as hyperstretch, give many flexibilities on the size matter, too.
So, it is all your money. There is no exact answer because everyone has a different condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom