Where to buy soft weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Where are some good places to buy soft weights and what should I expect to pay per pound? Thx

Honestly I have 26 lbs in soft that i figur d would be the cats ass. Now I am thinking hard weights are better for an integrated BCD because the have a lot less bulk to them.

Honestly I have 26 lbs in soft that i figur d would be the cats ass. Now I am thinking hard weights are better for an integrated BCD because the have a lot less bulk to them.

I melted mine down and cast them in to blocks. They fit my weight pockets much better now.

rotometals.com is about the cheapest at $3-4 per pound. Free shipping for over $100.

But, I don't like soft weights because they take a long time to dry and the large surface area of the beads exposes the environment to a lot of lead.

I prefer the plastic coated solid weights. No environmental lead exposure.

I hear ya! And for economy of space, you're right.
But at the end of the day, I'm pulling my rig apart and tossing bags over in a pile.
Try that with solid lead!
Environmentally? Yeah, when you hose the bags down, that little wash is toxic. But you can do that in an isolated area.
When diving, there's no significant percolation of water through the weight pocket holder, through the weight pocket, through the bag, and back out again. I think the ocean will be okay. I'll put my money on plastic cleanup efforts.

Buy bigger pockets! :poke:

I made my own. Lead shot #8 bought in 50# bags @ $2/lb. Heavy Sunbrella coated scrap fabric, sewn with a sailmaker's machine. Double bagged. The water movement in/out is minimal. I don't know if the effort expended was worth the $275 I saved, but I feel better about these.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom