Where to buy my gear (and/or what brand to get)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaiser442

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thought about posting this in one of the many Leisure Pro threads - but didn't want to postjack.

I'm (hopefully) going to be ready to by my own set of regulators in the next few months (the ONLY thing I'm missing to have ALL my own gear :D ).

So far I've bought everything from my closest local dive shop (and the place where I got my training) - but their prices are OUTRAGEOUS and I just can't afford to buy any more gear from them... sorry. I'm a bad person... but that's that.

What I really think I want (based on liking an Aqualung Titan that I used one day in class) is an Aqualung Legend, legend octo, and a basic analog 3-gauge cluster (have a wrist computer so really all I need is spg and a compass - but I figure a backup depth gauge would be good to have)

I can get this from my regular LDS for $1000+ (NOT!)
I can get it from Leisure Pro for about $650 (WOW!!!)
Or, I can get some other brand - like Sherwood - from Scuba Toys locally (happens to be about 30 miles away from me).

I'd really like to buy from Larry. They're local AND they've got GREAT prices... but since they don't appear to be a disty for Aqualung I'd have to try to find something that they carry that I'll like... and as a new diver I'm not that savvy on the different brands and what is better than what anyway.

I really don't care much about warranties and service agreements... to me it is a big racket... so I don't care about "2 years free parts" etc etc. I just want the absolute best gear I can buy that will be in working condition when I get it.

Any opinions ?

$650 is a damn lot for a regulator.

Go to www.diveinn.com and pick up a complete Apeks set for about $400 if you're set on using the internet.

BTW, you *will* care about the "free parts" when you bring your gear into your LDS for its yearly service.

Get this:

Regulator - ATX50
BC - BP/W
Wetsuit - XCEL
Fins - Scuba Pro Jets
Mask - Cressi Sub Big Eyes
Computer - Suunto Mosquito
Compass - Suunto SK7
Reel - DR
Safety Sausage - DR
Light - UK Light Canon

Buy online, from Larry or Leisure Pro.........enjoy diving.

I paid $650 for my MK25 and the Legend LX was running about the same at the dive shop. That didn't include the alternate air. I think that if it includes the octo then it's a good price.

pants!:
$650 is a damn lot for a regulator.

Go to www.diveinn.com and pick up a complete Apeks set for about $400 if you're set on using the internet.

BTW, you *will* care about the "free parts" when you bring your gear into your LDS for its yearly service.

I think he was referring to a total price of reg, spg and compass.

Kaiser, plenty of people will tell you what to buy based on personal experience, but the truth is that only you can decide what gear is right for your body and diving style/limits.

If I were to recommend Aqua Lung, it would be because of it's Lifetime Warranty alone.

Suunto makes a great computer but they are also very conservative.

Try as much gear out as possible before actually purchasing.

And don't forget: Where will you be diving mostly? How often?

Best of luck

I already have everything except for the regulator setup (tank, Suunto mosquito, wetsuit etc etc). Oh, and I plan to do all warm water diving for the time being.

I guess I'll go by scubatoys before I buy regardless and see what advice they can give.

I bought my computer, BCD, reg, and octo from LeisurePro. When it came time to buy more gear (wetsuit, hood, boots, gloves, fins, and knife) ScubaToys price was better.

When LeisurePro sent me my BCD it was an XLarge (I ordered a Large). I tried adjusting it to make it fit and made two dives. It just wasn't working. I called LeisurePro back. They said send it in. The recieved my BCD on the 5th and sent a new one to me on the 11th. I can't complain.

Being newer to scuba I don't have any brand loyalties yet. I asked around and tried a few different types of gear to try and figure out what I want. For example, I was intially planning on buying a Henderson HyperStretch wetsuit. After talking with Larry I decided to go with a Bare. Was it the right choice? I don't know yet. Maybe I'll never know.

Bill

Looking back, I didn't ask a very answer-able question...

let me try again:

I'm basically trying to figure out which brands are the absolute best (For those that missed it in the original post, this is ONLY about regulators. I have everything else).

People love to say (I think it's already been said in this thread) that it's user preference - pick the one that works best for you. Though I appreciate the good intentions, that is useless information because I've only tried a few cheapie rental regs. Nobody (even my expensive local shop) is going to set up 15 tanks with all the different regulator brands and models for me to try in their pool (THAT would be GREAT).

Of the different regs I've used in my brief experience, the only one that made me think "wow.. I like the way this one breathes" was the Aqua Lung - but as I pointed out, the only way I can afford one of those is through LP... and I'm a little uneasy about buying from them.

Now, obviously this is an extremely subjective area... but there are definitely some 'better' and some 'worse' companies. For instance, I've never seen anyone give Scubapro anything but a rave review.... and I've heard that Tusa is the worst out there.

Is there a good source for brand/model comparisons to help a noob pick a good regulator?

I feel like the only option I have is to find as many opinions (and preferably real studies with computer breath testing etc.. I found one study like this online but it only covered a few regs), take my best guess, and whip out the credit card.

I dunno.. maybe I should just buy a cheapie until I learn more - but I'd kinda like to buy a really nice higher-end setup... Something that is better than all that rental gear, you know?

Back
Top Bottom