Where to become a divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Sea in August is like an ventilate oven ... and definitely overcrowded.
It could be a shocking approch to DM, though you will definitely learn a lot.
If budget is a concern, then consider Bay Islands, Utila or Roatan.

Then I completely agree with what has been told about questions you have
to ask yourself before taking the decision IF , WHERE ...

ciao
robcap
PADI DM 963356
a.k.a. Señor Granzo
a.k.a. Sku-ba-man

Submariner, I'm still a AOWD but starting with my rescue. I'm diving now for more then 4 years and made almost 100 dives, so I'm pretty expierenced for a "holiday" diver.
On Internet I have found various periods that you need to become a good divemaster. Starting from 3 weeks till 3 months. I guess it's the same as on school. One is quicker than the other

My goal is not in the first place to get a job in the diving business, just to get a better diver....

Diving lokally is not a discussion. Holland, brrr much to cold and nothing to see (I never tried it so its not very objective)

Thanks already for your replies!

Lobke:
On Internet I have found various periods that you need to become a good divemaster. Starting from 3 weeks till 3 months. I guess it's the same as on school. One is quicker than the other

My goal is not in the first place to get a job in the diving business, just to get a better diver....

Diving lokally is not a discussion. Holland, brrr much to cold and nothing to see (I never tried it so its not very objective)

I think the word good which I've highlighted is crucial. There is a world of difference between simply being handed a card at the end of a course and being trained to a level of real competence.

If your goal is simply to become a better diver, I have a better suggestion for you than taking a DM course...dive more. A DM course is a leadership course for those who would like to start down the instruction path. There is nothing wrong with taking a DM for the sake of knowledge but...since it appears you just want to dive better, I'm not sure this is the way to go about doing it.

I've seen DM's I wouldn't go in the water with who have blown through their courses in the quest for a card. Finding a quick and cheap certification just sounds to me like you might very well find yourself a student of such a DM or instructor...one who caters to the card collector, not the diver looking to really better their dive skills.

Lastly, I wouldn't write-off local diving...I'd venture to bet that taking a dive course or two locally in a drysuit might bring a whole new skill level to your diving and ultimately make you a far better diver than a quick DM cert on some tropical island.

what a lot of people dont realize about becoming a DM is there are two very distinct and definate parts.

The Curriculum.

The Job.

I taught dozens (litereally) of DM's the long way and until recently felt very uncomfortable when asked to teach a DM in ten days or so.

I always felt that my divemaster course would produce the kind of divemasters that I would like to be. This is the beauty of having a backpacker on a remote island for a few months, you can do it this way.

When a client walks in with the idea that they can complete the course in less than two weeks, I would suggest that you sigh, roll your eyes and quietly explain that they can learn the theory and complete the requirements of the curriculum, but the JOB requires months to years of experience to gain adequately.

Personally, I would like to see the Divemaster course dumbed down a little more than it already is. I know that this will mean I have to get my flame suit on, but I see too many instructors that cant teach the DM , so they just sign off their buddies "cause I know you are a good diver and I cant be bothered to figure out DM physics enough to teach it"

Divemaster should be busted down to dive guide, AI given the teaching that divemasters now have and the AI course separated from the IDC.

(note to mods: if this is too off topic or hijacks the thread, move it to I 2 I)

I hadn't thought of it that way before Mark but I can see several points I deff agree with you on, in particular the probs you get with these rushed courses.

Also as the dm course doesn't teach you to teach I agree that dm's should not do any teaching. I've worked in a couple of schools where this is the case as a company policy and both instructors and dm's seem very happy with this. The only exception might be the efr course, I dont personally have any probs with dm's teaching that course.

I was lucky enough to get experience of scuba reviews shop work and leading customers on dives as part of the dm training. You're right, there's no way you can poss learn that as well as the curriculum in 2 weeks.

Lobke:
Hello scubaboard friends,

Next year (july/august 2005) i'm going for a 2 month holiday. I'm looking for the following:

- a nice dive place where I can get my divemaster
- sun ( a lot of places have raining season in that period)
- a save place (I'm travelling alone)
- also a littlebit culture
- and a place where I can meet thousands of new friends!
- and (yes I'm dutch) it has to fit in my budget (approx. 5.000 euro)

What's your suggestion for a location and a dive school?

I've already been to Hurgharda, Sharm el Sheik, El Gouna (Egypt), Koh Samui, Koh Tao (Thailand) Tulum, Xcalak and Cozumel (Thailand) and Malta.

Thanks a lot in front!

Lobke

I was on Roatan in Honduras at the end of July, the weather was great, and the diving was even better.

We stayed in the West End at Posada Arco Iris, a clean and inexpensive hotel. We had a room with a kitchen, but eating out was also very cheap.

Diving with Coconut Tree Divers was a good experience. They seemed more in it for the experience that the business. We had no problems during our week of diving. The DM's were great.

We met people from all over the world on our dives and while hanging out at the Twisted Toucan. We had no problems with security and/or safety. Just a great trip all around.

Good luck on your continuing education and enjoyment of diving. :eek:ctopus:

I did a DM a while ago with a small dive centre in Dahab.

It's easy to get to from Holland and the diving's pretty fun, plus there'll be lots and lots of time working with open water students - something I found to be very useful.

I'd recommend goping around to the dive centres till you meet and instructor who you like and going from there. It's the instructor that's important - not the dive centre's marketing materials.

have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom