Where should the pressure gauge be mounted and what are the advantages of this configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skirting around a difficult topic…. Sump divers are cave divers too...

Sump divers are frequently "cavers who dive" and only dive to get though a flooded sump to the next chamber. Their kit is minimalist as it needs to be caved through to the sump and beyond through subsequent sumps. They'll frequently be doing SRT (rope work) too. No-mount is common as are small cylinders, anything to keep the load light and compact.

Long hoses and the DIR configuration which originated and evolved in the Florida karst system but also proved useful for general purpose diving.

Other circumstances require different equipment and procedures especially where general purpose equipment won't work. Even sidemount has different styles. Sump divers use the right kit for the particular cave and sump they're working through.
Are you "cave splaining" to me here? It sounds like you're just repeating based on what you've seen and heard about online?

So how many cave dives do you have? And how many of those would you call sumps? I have about 360 cave dives (sadly there is zero karst within 400miles of me, and what karst there is has a very short season) and about 80 or 85 of those cave dives are sumps.

I havent used a console in about 1400 dives and 23-24 years of diving. And I have never had any AI functionality hose or hoseless.

Gauge boltsnapped to left hip Dring if I'm using AI an computer. If I'm not using AI I move it to the left side chest Dring where I can glance at it without unclipping it.

Are you "cave splaining" to me here?
Not so much to you, but you’re probably right that it’s a bit mansplaining.

Bored with the end of the season. Bored with not being able to travel. So many plans, so little time and so few divable caves around here.

Why would you do maths when you could just stick a reg on a tank and test it??? It takes me about 2 to 2.5 normal breaths to empty the Reg and I can see that I use about 80bar per breath. That tells me that the hp side makes a holds a far greater volume of air than the LP side.

Maybe its just me, but the math, physics & discussion of specific cave diving procedures seem perhaps a bit beyond the scope of both the OP's question and the premise of the Basic Scuba Forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom