Where should I start to approach the rebreather world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aren’t we missing the point here about the major difference between CCR and OC…

CCR requires a lot more attention to detail in the care and preparation of the rebreather. They’re very complex machines with many failure modes. If you approach CCR with a slapdash just throw it all together attitude— that is quite possible on OC — then you’d better be ready to accept failures and far greater risk.

Aren’t we missing the point here about the major difference between CCR and OC…

CCR requires a lot more attention to detail in the care and preparation of the rebreather. They’re very complex machines with many failure modes. If you approach CCR with a slapdash just throw it all together attitude— that is quite possible on OC — then you’d better be ready to accept failures and far greater risk.
Only if you have o rings or cables of death… My JJ is sat in the house and if the rain got really bad the longest part of me getting in the water would be going to the garage and back to fetch the dil and o2.

The worst bit for me is the clean up after dives.

From scratch build, as it is sat dry at this moment:

get it out of the cupboard
take the head out
remove scrubber from the head, check dates on cells in case of forgetfulness, falling through a black hole etc
unscrew the scrim holder from the bottom of the scrubber
Go outside to fill scrubber (happen to have sorb in the house but don’t want sorb on the floor) tapping etc 10 minutes
put the scrim holder back on the scrubber
inspect the head to canister o rings, clean as required (but this will be ok as I put it away clean)
screw scrubber to head
inspect the inside of the can where the head o rings go, clean as required
maybe lube the head/can o-rings
put the head/scrubber combo back into the canister
attach o2 feed to head
attach head loop hoses to the lung tee pieces
fit dil and o2 cylinders 5 minutes (maybe 20 minutes if I don’t know what gas is in them)
program gases
if using a drysuit inflate system fit it now 5 minutes (plus panic time thinking “oh no did I leave It somewhere?”)
check BOV loop mushroom valves work
attach BOV loop to lung tee pieces
if I have OC gas to hand I will check the BOV OC works at this point
calibrate cells 5 minutes
gentle negative test, long positive test
drink coffee, find drysuit socks while positive test is happening
do a prebreath to be sure everything is vaguely working.
check manual adds, ADV, wing inflate

maybe remove bov/loop put it in the car, drive to boat.

at the boat, put the loop back on, neg and positive tests, gas on, pressures, ADV, manual adds, BOV, prebreath,

between dives:

optionally undo the exhaust loop to let the gloop drain out and help head/cells dry out a bit, then, after lunch or whatever, put it back negative and positive tests
turn the gas on, check pressures, gas on, pressures, ADV, manual adds, BOV, prebreath, dive

need different gas or a top up?

undo the exhaust loop to let the gloop drain out etc as above,
remove cylinders, fill, measure, refit, program gas,
turn the gas on, check pressures, gas on, pressures, ADV, manual adds, BOV, prebreath, dive

need a scrubber fill?
as per the dry setup, maybe leave the head/cells to dry off while eating dinner before screwing the scrubber on

The worst bit for me is the clean up after dives.

Ding Ding Ding! @KenGordon has nailed it! This is the other side of rebreather diving that no one really talks about or takes into consideration for time.

Setup for me if I already have gasses mixed/available is really pretty straightforward and not that time consuming but the cleanup after a dive is what takes me forever! This can easily hit the 2hr mark for me. During setup I like to be focused, efficiently and methodically set my unit up so it goes quick. 30min-1hr. During cleanup I get easily distracted (on purpose haha), lots of banter with friends about the dive, drinks and snacks come out and I find any excuses I can to procrastinate.

Compared with OC…
  • Had previously taken them for filling then analysed and labelled them. Similarly with deco cylinders
  • Open car boot
  • Lay twinset down, check label — MOD and deco gas suitable for dive?
  • Attach V weights, wing, backplate, regs
  • Check pressure, breathe from each reg
Done. Drive to dive boat.

On boat…
  • Whilst standing in front of twinset tied to boat:
  • Open valves, check pressure, breathe from each reg
  • untie twinset, don twinset
  • Put necklace over head, breathe from reg
  • Longhose: check it’s not tangled — hands in the air. Wrap longhose, breathe from reg
  • Check pressure.
  • Pre Jump: breathe from regs, check pressure
Jump

Compared with OC…
  • Had previously taken them for filling then analysed and labelled them. Similarly with deco cylinders
  • Open car boot
  • Lay twinset down, check label — MOD and deco gas suitable for dive?
  • Attach V weights, wing, backplate, regs
  • Check pressure, breathe from each reg
Done. Drive to dive boat.

On boat…
  • Whilst standing in front of twinset tied to boat:
  • Open valves, check pressure, breathe from each reg
  • untie twinset, don twinset
  • Put necklace over head, breathe from reg
  • Longhose: check it’s not tangled — hands in the air. Wrap longhose, breathe from reg
  • Check pressure.
  • Pre Jump: breathe from regs, check pressure
Jump
I would leave my BPW/v weight attached to my twinset, but I would rinse my regs etc afterwards…

If I was 30 years younger I wouldn’t hesitate to switch to a rebreather but saving time or money would be at the bottom of the list of reasons for doing it. The opportunity to spend more time on wrecks and explore different wrecks would be at the top.

About 10 years ago I was reading about a story of a rebreather diver doing a wreck dive and screwed up. Couple small mistakes stacked up against him. Got lost in the wreck. Basically thought he was going to die lost inside the wreck. Eventually calmed down, thought about some stuff and worked himself out. Ended up with a massive amount of deco time. As in hours late to the surface amount of deco. If that screw up had been on OC, never would have made it out much less hung around for the deco. But a rebreather it was just a stupid long dive with lots of boring deco. And a very concerned top side crew that wasn't happy with him being late, but happy he wasn't dead.

If I was 30 years younger I wouldn’t hesitate to switch to a rebreather but saving time or money would be at the bottom of the list of reasons for doing it. The opportunity to spend more time on wrecks and explore different wrecks would be at the top.
I started at 70. Now Helitrox CCR building time for Mod 2. I can't tell you how much warmer and easier and more fun it is! Yeah, there are complications, and it's a PITA relearning buoyancy control, and post-dive cleanup is long. But it is very much worth it, at any age.
Post in thread Advanced penetration of the Spiegel Grove Wreck

I started at 70. Now Helitrox CCR building time for Mod 2. I can't tell you how much warmer and easier and more fun it is! Yeah, there are complications, and it's a PITA relearning buoyancy control, and post-dive cleanup is long. But it is very much worth it, at any age.
Post in thread Advanced penetration of the Spiegel Grove Wreck
It's fun and more engaging as there's far more to learn and work with the unit. Ignoring the initial purchase and training costs, it's far cheaper to run even for shallow dives as you can use your own gas banking cylinders which can last for 10(?) dives, i.e. don't have to spend hours taking the cylinders for filling.

The costs really plummet for deeper dives as helium's a just a few £/€/$ per dive.

Sorb costs are low -- especially if you have a Revo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom