Where should I go?? Please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm thinking of going to Mexico in JANUARY (2009) and need some tips on where to go. The only way I can go is by using airline miles, so I'm restricted based on where Alaska Airlines flies and when I can get the cheaper seats. Basically, for 60,000 miles and $150 I can get my wife and myself down there.

Based on this information:
Alaska Airlines Mexico Destinations

Which city should I go to and which dive operators are best?

We can go for maybe 7-8 days, including all travel time and we have two divers - myself, with 80 some dives, and my wife, with 12 dives and fresh off her AOW and drysuit certs.

Would LOVE to do some of the cavern diving, and maybe even take a course.

Also, the Mexican government website says:
Travelers visiting Mexico are allowed to take into the country only those items included in their personal luggage made up of new or used personal clothes, shoes, hygiene products, in reasonable quantities according to their planned length of stay in Mexico. If the personal effects and additional items exceed US$1,000.00 worth, import arrangements must be made at the port of entry, for the payment of foreign trade dues. Over the amount stated, it may be necessary to hire the services of a customs broker at the port of entry.
Are they serious? Who the hell goes to Mexico with less than $1000 worth of stuff? A pair of glasses, sunglasses and a watch can put you over, alone alone diving gear.

Thanks!
nd

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I would probably fly in to Cancun then spend some extra money and hop a puddle jumper over to cozumel.

Cozumel Airport: Cozumel Airport Arrival

Alaska air may have agreements with other airlines to get you over to Cozumel as well.
Going to their website they do have flights there with a connection on Continental or American I would give a call and see how much additional if any it might be.

For caverns, Cancun is the port of entry to world class cavern diving. Personally, I would not stay in Cancun since most of the cenotes (caverns) are around the Puerto Adventuras/Akumal area (about 1-1 1/2 hours south of the airport).

The best way to get to Cozumel from the Cancun airport is to take the ADO bus from the airport terminal to Playa del Carmen. The bus terminal is close to the ferry from PDC to Cozumel. The transfer should take you around 2 1/2 hours and cost less than $25 each.

BTW, I have never had a problem with the $1000 limit on bringing personal items into Mexico. I wouldn't worry about that one.

If you decide to go the Cancun/Coz route pm me and I will get you some good links for places to stay, car rentals, etc.

I would actually stay in Cancun myself. I found the sealife there to be better than in cozumel and in addition some of the cancun dive ops also arrange trips both to the cenotez, cozumel and locally which gives you great flexibility with regards to where you dive. I was unable to find the same flexibility from cozumel ops when I was looking into it.
The reefs in cozumel is big, but they are mostly CROWDED and the sealife did not impress me very much.
I did post a trip report from the area last year and others has as well if you search for it.

Edit: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/199384-mexico-report-cancun-cozumel-cenotes-whalesharks.html thers the trip report for you..

I would also recommend Cozumel. Reefs are beautiful, the island is charming. Check on Alaska airlines partners that fly into Cozumel or try flying into Cancun. The bus and the ferry are the best way to get to Cozumel from Cancun.
I cannot imagine having a choice and choosing Cancun over Cozumel if diving was my main activity. Friends travel of Cancun to stay in glitzy hotels, have nightlife and lay on the beach. Nothing wrong with that, we have done that and enjoyed ourselves. If divng is the focus, the Cozumel reefs are far superior. There are many great dive ops to choose from that can give you many options such as a small 6 pack or large boat with many people. Not sure who Tigerman dove with in Cozumel but we have always dove with a small company (Cozumel - Mexico - Albatros Charters) and rarely seen any other divers while in the water.
Whatever you decide to do, have a great vacation!

I agree with Tigerman. Drop an email to benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk and get some pricing from him. He's the owner/operator of Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives&PADI Courses. He's a great instructor, great to party with and has a top notch operation. He lets you dive your computer and doesn't herd you around if you are a competent diver.

See if he can hook you up with a package for hotel and diving, since you didn't mention if you have booked yet.

Regardless of you decision, I hope you have good weather and an even better time!

NudeDiver, if you are thinking of doing a cavern course, I can't recommend Protec in Playa del Carmen enough. These guys are absolutely the tops in professionalism and everything else I was looking for in a training facility. When I did my cave course, I canvassed all the cave divers I know around Playa, and every single one pointed me towards Protec. Website here: Protec Playa - tp
If you are looking for cheap accommodations, they are attached to Mom's Hotel. It ain't pretty (really!), but it is cheap, and it's right there.
For ocean diving, the recommendations pointing you towards Cozumel are bang on. The reefs are better on that side. If you want, you can take the ferry between Coz and Playa for day trips (either direction).
As far as stuff to do when you're not diving (shopping, tours, nightlife, etc.) Cancun gives you the most choices, then Playa, then Coz.
If you are interested in more information on Playa, this site includes forums moderated by locals (mostly gringos) and frequent travelers - tons of info: Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info
Hope you can make the trip and enjoy our beautiful area! I'll keep a lookout for a naked guy in the cenotes.

Hola from cancun

there seems to be never problems with people bringing 3000usd worth only on dive gear.
Check out Manta Divers! Cancun! Cenote! Cozumel! Selvatica Zip Line - Home call toll free so you can design your own dive package to dive cancun, cozumel, caverns and for any specialty courses you would like to take.
Hoping this helps and to see you soon

Hello I like cabo San lucas short flights and great Diving.I have dove Cancun and Coz. Many Times but I see more species of Tropical fish In Cabo over 300 different species. I have seen Giant Mantas,Whale Sharks,turtles ,Sea Lions,Sea Horses,plus the Mirco life is great.I am planning a trip down in Dec.I Dive with Baja Dive located in the Tesore Los Cabos Resort located on the Marina Boardwalk in Cabo. They have a nice 40 foot boat with a full hard top so your not baked in the Sun and lots of room for gear.Dive Masters have lots of experence and all my trips have gone smooth. Check Home

Alaska flys direct to La Paz and Loreto from L.A.. No caverns, but, very unique diving. just got back from la paz. Real easy trip. Did it on miles for my wife and I. i guess it also depends on the time of year you are going. It also depends on if your wife is comfortable with advanced dives.

Back
Top Bottom