Where should I go - East Kalimatan (Derawan), Maumere or Pulau Weh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Namie

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I've dived around South East Asia a lot, so am constantly looking for the next best diving spot. In Indonesia I've dived in Bunaken, Lembeh and Komodo. Komodo and Sipadan were the best dives I've ever done so far and Lembeh got me hooked on muck diving!

In April, I'm planning to dive Ambon and the Banda Islands. I plan on staying in Indonesia for two weeks, so after Ambon and Banda islands I might have a few days left over, haven't worked it out all yet, but was thinking to fit in another dive area. Read a bunch of mixed reviews on East Kalimantan (Derawan), Maumere and Pulau Weh. Pulau Weh will take more travel time from Ambon but if it's superior I wouldn't mind taking the extra hike out there.

Anyone who has dived these areas have any recommendations, out of these three places which one should I pick??

Thanks!

If only for a few days, then Maumere. The other two are a little harder to get to for only a couple of days. Closer to Ambon is Timor-Leste. While I have no first hand knowledge, rumor has it that the diving is pretty good. Not sure how easy it is to travel to and from since it is different country, but it is very close to your current itinerary.

Back
Top Bottom