Where oh where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put mine at the base of the arm, facing me. Using your photo for reference, see where the FO cable wraps around the arm? From that point down to the base is where mine goes.

That way it's easy to reach and remove/insert with one hand and the lens is protected.

You may want to consider this option:

pt015_lensdock.jpg

1. Get a piece of flat aluminum about 1/8" thick, 1" wide and 6" in length. Be certain the length does not interfere with the shutter control but is long enough to accomodate the lens dock.
2. Bend the aluminum so as to clear the top of the housing as it looks like that may be necessary from your photo.
3.Insert the aluminum between your tray handle and strobe arm. You would likely need a longer bolt than the one that is already there. Two bolts may be necessary to prevent the aluminum from moving.
4. Drill a couple of holes in the aluminum and attach the lens dock to it with two stainless steel nuts/bolts or nylon nuts/bolts.

I did this setup with my homemade rig but used plexiglass instead of aluminum but since you may have to bend it the aluminum is required. Stainless steel will likely be heavier.

setup2.jpg

If I had to replace my setup, in hindsight I would order this setup (minus the light) from Yuzo and add a leash to the WAL. This looks like a solid rig all around as it can take a lot of handling from either side.

carryingtop.jpg

Dee:
I put mine at the base of the arm, facing me. Using your photo for reference, see where the FO cable wraps around the arm? From that point down to the base is where mine goes.
Would you say that you are in any way limited in your range of motion by placing it there? And how would you say the balance is with it all being on the one side? If I were to get the macro lenses, would I need a 2nd dock? or how would I do it?

Love your design Gilligan! Too bad I don't have the right tools to do it. If my dad were here, man he could make it in a jiff....but being he is over seas....too much hassle...and if you and I were on the same Island, gees - I could bug you about it :D. But seeing is that I already have the 2nd arm, waiting for a second strobe....the overhead thing might be a wise choice. I am sure that Yuzo would supply the screws that I would need to modify the set up, don't ya think?

justleesa:
Would you say that you are in any way limited in your range of motion by placing it there? And how would you say the balance is with it all being on the one side? If I were to get the macro lenses, would I need a 2nd dock? or how would I do it?

It doesn't limit the range of motion of the arm, however those first 4 sections the DLD spans are frozen. I added 4 more sections to the arm but I could do without them.

The balance is affected a little bit, way more on land than under, but it's not enough to be a pain. The only way not to feel any weight shift is to use that contraption Jim posted. But then you're getting into a rally big rig.

A macro lens won't fit in the DLD. Wait, I should say the lens will fit but not with the zip tie leash holder thing. The macro lens is only about 1/2" wide with no 'waist' to hold the zip-tie securely. The DLD is almost 1/2" deep so once you got the macro len in there, there's not enough of the lens to grab to get it out.

The only lens holder I've seen that will handle the marco lens is Inon's that you have to screw it into the threads.

Not being able to attach a leash to the macro lens is what has prevented me from getting one at this point. Like Dee said there is no "waist" on that lens to attach the cable tie to like on the WAL. That Inon lens caddy as shown above on Yuzo's tray will hold the macro because you thread it in.
If I got that tray setup I would put the macro lens in the Inon caddy and "captain gadget" the GB lens dock to the rig for the WAL.

Back
Top Bottom