Where next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
What do you do when the wife is sick? Dive planning of course! :stirpot:

We've been to Raja Ampat a number of times, and we're not tired of it by any means but we are starting to look around. I spent the day looking at a number of threads in this and other fora, and made my list.

Remember we want 4-star resorts, easy ins and outs are essential! and no long, bumpy rides either in boats or cars. Diving-wise we are pretty comfortable with currents now. :troll:

WITHIN INDO:

++ Alor - Alor - Alor divers for big stuff, cold water (18 - 29), October best month, schooling HH.

??Kalimaya Dive Resort, on Sumbaya west of Komodo - anyone?

??Sali Bay Resort. Sparely populated and visited. Fly to Ternate, then small plane, 30 min drive, 45 min speedboat. Variety and pristine reefs. Nitrox? Anyone?

??Nunukan Island, long car + boat trip or once a week flight from Balikpanpan to Maratua (maybe). 4 star resort. Thresher sharks, whale sharks? Anyone?

?Bangka - give it another try?

OUTSIDE INDO:

++Philippines for sure.

++Solomons seems the next best bet for our location (Bali) and interests. Maybe as good as RA? some say! :happywave: and Virgin R/T $800-$1500. from SIN. Bilikini LOB seems better than trying to combine several land resorts, esp. given the country's infrastructure and social issues.

??PNG - Tawali not Milne Bay (my assessment), super corals, mix of muck, reefs, and big stuff, high viz, high price and high PITA. Private guide?

+?Truk (Chuuk) - Are there enough good wrecks less than 30m? We are not wreck certified. Truk Odyssey LOB. Best time "late fall until November", not too sure about that.

NOTE: From Truk we *could* go to Guam and then to Narita for $1,000USD as we do want to visit Japan, but maybe Solomons + Truk + Japan is just too much to do in one trip.

We DO want to go to French Poly but it's actually closer from our home in SF than from Bali!

We MIGHT want to combine Andaman Islands with a south India trip. Sounds so fun!

I think I've decided against Palau (too crowded if we're going that far) and Maldives (good big stuff but poor corals and worse government).

Would love to hear reactions!

- Bill & Emily

At this point, I think it best you pull the trigger, buy a 3 mil shorty to squeeze over your wetsuit, maybe a big ol' hooded vest, and head to Alor. Might as well cover all aspects of Indo and finish what you have started. I will be interested in your review. It really is pretty good, but good grief that water is cold.

East Timor is only a short flight from Bali.
There are enough shallow wrecks in Truk to keep you happy. But would the operator arrange specially for U2 is another matter. A bounce dive to San Francisco Maru(50m+) is very good even with very short bottom time. Three mini tanks on the bow + others.

Well you learned to like currents maybe it's time to fall in love with the muck, macro, all those tiny creatures that can be fascinating to watch. Get you and your wife a magnifying glass to check them out close up and you might just find another kind of diving you'll love and be able broaden your horizons.

Have you done Komodo? If not, a must do within Indonesia. Easy in and out and you can relax in Bali a few days before or after. If you haven't dived Bali, either, there are some good dives around there. You can hit sunfish, macro, and wreck in Bali. :)

Have you done Komodo? If not, a must do within Indonesia. Easy in and out and you can relax in Bali a few days before or after. If you haven't dived Bali, either, there are some good dives around there. You can hit sunfish, macro, and wreck in Bali. :)

We live in Bali so we've dived it a bunch -- you're right, there is some good living in Bali, as you mention, and we will dive it more. We're part of the Geko Diving / Made fan club.

We're doing that Bali-Komodo-Bali thing in Aug.

- Bill

Belongas Bay, South Lombok is any easy flight from Bali. We missed the schooling hammerheads, but saw 50 schooling devil rays for 4 days. We dived with DiveZone Lombok & stayed at Belongas Bay Lodge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom