Where is your favorite Kelp diving spot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a secret spot near Port McNeil. kelp bed is the size of a soccer field and infested with huge Black rockfish and giant kelp greenling. great place to find shellfish too. Freediver's dream.

Sounds like hidden cove...or a squillion other places around McNeil.:D

Port McNeil is so delicious... :wink:

to bad they closed Haddington :(

Port McNeil is so delicious... :wink:

to bad they closed Haddington :(

I am not much of a hunter so it doesn't bother me much I am more of a gatherer. But isnt that closure only for the summer?
We are talking about doing a weekend up there in early spring. Rock scallops and Pugets!

mmmmmm I love boxcrabs! Haddington is closed to ground fish year round. I freedive 100% of the time i'm up there, and when the tanks come off the guns come out :wink:

I found a lot of rockscallops near blinkhorn a few years back...

For Kelp diving, even though you are in the Vancouver area, I would seriously consider the advice of the other poster, regarding Anacapa Island off Ventura CA. Maybe not to show your visitor friends but at some point if you are interested in kelp. They have giant kelp down there which is much more "leafy" than the bull kelp up here - some nice you tube videos available. Flights are cheap right now and it's only a 2 hr drive north from LA to ventura.

Amphibious, I have heard there are has even been mermaids spotted it the Kelp beds around Telegraph Cove.

Trying to compile a list of favorite spots to dive while the kelp is growing.

I have some good friends coming in from Australia to dive our waters for a few weeks this spring, and I want to show them a TRUE west coast Kelp dive.

Hunt Rock. Port Hardy area.

Amphibious, I have heard there are has even been mermaids spotted it the Kelp beds around Telegraph Cove.

not for a few years, but I have witnessed this first hand a few times :wink:

hunt rock is awesome. very challenging freediving/spearfishing on the backside (out of the closed zone). good pick.

Hunt Rock. Port Hardy area.

Yup ... that would get my vote ... gonna be there in 12 days ...

CIMG7829.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver

a secret spot near Port McNeil. kelp bed is the size of a soccer field and infested with huge Black rockfish and giant kelp greenling. great place to find shellfish too. Freediver's dream.

that place is still the best place i have been to date!!!!!

what are you doing in april?? i'm going to be on the coast from the 1st till the 17th or 20th you down for some diving ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom