Where is the Forum for the Keys ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tuckster:
Can't find the forum for the keys ...

Gee whiz... the keys?

Which keys?

The Florida Keys?

If that's what you are looking for I would surmise that you are in the correct place......

:D

Yeah, the Florida Keys aren't "special" enough to get their own forum. You'll have to schlep it out in the general conchers forum... although technically "conchers" should only apply to residents of the Keys. Now that's irony.

archman:
Yeah, the Florida Keys aren't "special" enough to get their own forum. You'll have to schlep it out in the general conchers forum... although technically "conchers" should only apply to residents of the Keys. Now that's irony.

Thanks.... I'll do a little deeper digging. At least I'm in the right spot.

actually, conch doesnt appy to residents of the keys. It applies to folks who have been there long enough to know to move somewhere else :wink: but people on here think that after they move down here for 2 years they are a "conch" hence this board

FL_Chad:
actually, conch doesnt appy to residents of the keys. It applies to folks who have been there long enough to know to move somewhere else :wink: but people on here think that after they move down here for 2 years they are a "conch" hence this board

Actually, one can NEVER become a true conch (saltwater) unless he/she is BORN in the Keys. However one can become a "freshwater conch" after he/she has lived in the Keys for 5 years or more.

keyshunter:
Actually, one can NEVER become a true conch (saltwater) unless he/she is BORN in the Keys. However one can become a "freshwater conch" after he/she has lived in the Keys for 5 years or more.
Yeah, that's the proper definition. You gotta be born in the Keys portion of Monroe county. Folks that move in later, even for 20+ years, still aren't "true conchs". When I lived on Big Pine Key, the highest status the locals ever conferred on me was "seasonal conch". I'll take what I can get.

Being born in the keys these days doesnt make you a conch. There are no more conchs to speak of. Conch is an old term (read some history books on old FL). Back in the day, the conchs wanted seperation from the state before it was accepted into the US - those were the true conchs. That is why I am saying the term is thrown around too losely. You think a NYer can move there tomorrow, have a kid born this year and then call him/her a conch? Not. Even though people will do that, it isnt what the literal term conch used to mean nor is it intended to be used in that reference, although, obvioulsy it is.

Well dang Chad, make up your mind! First you give a loose definition that the locals don't believe, then you give a super-strict one... that the locals don't believe either. Which definition are you sticking to? :eyebrow:

I just follow with what my 1st and later generation conch pals tell me... what they say goes for community opinion, at least in the lower Keys. There's still quite a few of these folks around... many thousands. Biggest concentration's in Key West.

Florida's a lot like California. Chock-full of transient residents, very few "locals" in many communities. You have to find the old agricultural/fishing towns typically if you want to get a taste of history. When I lived in both Florida and California, I had the good luck to live in such areas for both. Sure beats Lauderdale or San Diego for getting that classic culture! Fortunately for the Keys, grandfathered land purchases and strict growth limits have kept the place from turning into another Naples or Key Biscayne. Thank God for the NMS program!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom