Where is the best land-based diving in Maldives in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shiva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm planning a trip with my family to Maldives in the beginning of January. Unfortunately a liveaboard isn't an option with my non-diving family, so Im trying to figure out what is the best land based diving available there at this time of the year

thank you

Impossible question to answer based on so little info!

Please give a little more info about what the diver & non divers are looking for (& willing to pay for).

i (and i'm sure other Maldives regulars) will try and help you.

Thank you, mantajohn
I'm looking for big stuff like mantas, sharks, hummers etc. If I see a whaleshark, I'll consider that a very succesful trip. And if there is a house reef with some macro and night diving I'll be absolutely happy. But I'm probably asking for too much... so I'll strike the house reef off the list
As to my family I'm looking for good food, nice accomodation, beach and for easy shore entry so they could swim in the sea in shallow waters
As to money we could probably afford a more expensive hotel if it's worth the money

Dear mantajohn and "other regulars" where are you? :) I need your help :)

Shiva

you are asking for info, but not giving much away about your requirements. But i'll give it a go...

Firstly, your family. You do not mention how many/how old your children are. If they are under around 12, i would go somewhere else! The islands are v small & they are focussed upon a chilled out day that would bore most kids.

The real problem in narrowing things down is that there are 60-90 resorts (each on their own island) & most of which will have great diving.

i saw my first whale shark on my 10th trip - so i would not make that my success criteria. Apart from that, i've seen pretty much everything at every resort. What is a hummer?

The problem that i used to find in choosing a resort is that they all look fantastic & all look very similar. But in fact they can be quite different.

Check out which do/do not have:
a choice of eating venues
a pool
overwater bungalows
health spa
& most crucially a house reef.

With a house reef, you get unlimited diving inc night dives. Also the chance to get in excellent snorkelling between dives.

Personally, i would avoid the 5* resorts. They tend to attract the non diving market & so have the less good dive centres. 4* resorts tend to be v nice but have more divers - therefore more trips each day - better choce of dives etc.

The best diving i've personally experienced was from a liveaboard visiting Ari Atoll/Rasdhoo Atol (there are many resorts there also) or Filitheyo resort.

i hope this starts to help you. if you have some specific questions - please ask them

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom