Where is the best/cheapest Asian place to go in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserprinter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, I'm here in Seoul South Korea at the moment. I finish working at the end of May and would like to get out and do some scuba diving here in Asia.

I had plans to go to Philippines or Thailand but it looks like June is the Monsoon season. I'm interested in getting the PADI Advanced Open Water. I'm open to suggestions about diving cheap Asia in June, maybe a nice place to get certification or the best site to see. I'm going to be going alone and I have no equipment.

Cheers,
-ph

I think if you are careful you can get 2 dive days for $40 in the Philippines, Vietnam, and Indonesia. It's transit costs, food and lodging that add up outside of the dive costs. The AOW course has some costs in it that can't be escaped from, book, PADI fee's etc. It's going to depend on how much time you have to some degree. Thailand has gotten pretty expensive relative to some of the other countries. I'd recommend you ask in each of the sub forums where the cheapest diving can be had and if it's at least decent at that time of the year.

I had plans to go to Philippines or Thailand but it looks like June is the Monsoon season

It is, but I've been to both and dived in June. Viz is down but the diving is still good (unless the typhoon is right there). Bigger issue is transport, it tends to shut down. Good excuse to extend your trip :wink:

Try Bali cuz the rainy season is over and it has many variety of diving. The Mola mola season will start and maybe you will have a chance to see it.

Have you done any diving in Korea?

Why not head to the east coast, or better yet, Jeju.

Can't get any cheaper than staying in-country, when the Won is in the crapper like it is now...

Hi there - sounds like tons of fun. Maybe we'll cross paths as I will be heading there this summer too - its one of my favorite hangs ;-).

Airaisa.com should be your cheap ticket from hong kong via Kuala Lumpur to anywhere in SE Asia. I can recommend some REALLY cheap diving in Bali - but remember with really cheap diving comes really poorly serviced gear - I started upgrading for $7 extra a dive usually you feel the tanks/gear is serviced. But I do dive at the cheaper places & I've seen lots of sketchy stuff - so be careful & stick by your buddy.

So that being said: Tulemben Bali will be your cheapest option that I know of, but I would head to a more professional shop to take AOW. If you scroll to post 20 in this thread I have posted detailed info to find the cheapest possible place that I know of: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...-discussions/272244-inexpensive-diving-2.html

Here's some really good info about malaysia Sipadan. It will cost more than Bali but if you are careful you can pull it off on a serious budget by staying in dorms & shopping in the markets for food. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/malaysia-singapore/270713-whats-word-scuba-junkies.html

This is advice I've just received myself about philippines but have not been yet - hopefully this summer ;-). http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...budget-backpacker-dive-sites-philippines.html

Bali is beautiful that time of year cause it's south of the equator & in winter. If you head to bali I can recommend a good place to take AOW. Padangbai you can stay in the front rooms of Kerti Inn for $5 or $6 US a night - then find inexpensive food at small shops. Absolute scuba is the most professional shop in the town and I really liked my OW, AOW instructor Stjein.

Good luck & have fun & deffinately let me know if you find some other great cheap places ;-)

jeju island is a place to start, southern end Seogwipo has the best dive locations. i just came back from there and was very impressed with the dives. Diveland shop is great. i am definitely going back. jeju air has the best deals. 70,000-100,000 round trip from seoul.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom