Where is Robin Ray???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
....because I found Bat Ray. Ta dum dum dum. ;D

Last weekend I made it out to Santa Cruz Island aboard the Vision. At Hazard's cove, there were a large number of large Bat Rays in the sand. They are hard to approach because they really don't like the sound of bubbles. Strangely enough, they didn't seem to mind my presence too much, so long as I was quiet. SOOO, violating the first rule of scuba, I took a breath when I was around 20 ft away and then glided towards them. This is what I got. (As usual click on the image for more details)

This pair was unusual. As I got closer one of them bolted, but the other stayed put. I hope I didn't interrupt anything amorous...

This is the one that stayed behind to confront the "stranger".

Sweet!!!! I've seen them all the times in Divers Cove, Laguna Beach. One of them "violated" me during my descend. Never been able to take their picture tough.

.SOOO, violating the first rule of scuba, I took a breath when I was around 20 ft away and then glided towards them.

That rule doesn't apply to uw photography. You're fine. :D

Awesome pics, btw. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice shots! I've never been able to get close enough to get shots anywhere near that quality! Great job, and thanks for sharing! :)

One of them "violated" me during my descend. Never been able to take their picture tough.

Jenazah. They are pretty innocuous, but be careful of the stinger! I had never been able to get a photograph before either. The nice thing about this spot was that there were so many, if I accidentally spooked one, there were several others nearby. Even if you don't find the fish, they leave a very characteristic depression in the sand. If you find one, there are probably bat rays nearby, although angel sharks make a similar depression.

Back
Top Bottom