Where in Phillipines to see LOTS of fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caloy--Mike V. does seem to be the (photo) man. An OZ guy I dove w/ in Tulamben mentioned he dove w/ Mike there for a week once and a whlle back someone asked about a diveguide's whereabouts (Made from AA2) and yep, he was working w/ Mike. Well I don't know if Betty will make it there from Toronto but we will! Oh boy, Anilao is finally on the list! Thanks again. // ww

anilao is good and all, i dive it regularly, but really you wont see millions of fish like you will in moalboal's sardine run.
aside from the huge school of sardines that used to envelope the whole of pescador island island, you will get to see predators like tuna, trevally, snappers, wahoo, whitetips; and if your lucky threshers hunt them.
moalboal also offers great dusk and night dives for a chance to see sleeping turtles and mandarin fish and a spanish dancer if your lucky.
there have also been uncommon sightings of whale sharks in the area and they also have a planewreck you can dive.
all in all id say its my fave dive site atm.
i stayed in eves kiosk and dove with nelsons dive shop. theyre guides are local and very helpful plus no one can beat their prices.
good luck.

There are some areas that are fish deserts. Subic Bay is one, but the wrecks are good there. Either they were fished out by dynamite or cyanide fishing, or the local fishermen catch everything before it can swim away. It's their daily food and livelihood, can't blame them, but the resource is fished out. Nearby Anilao is better. Moalboal on Cebu is great still for the sardine runs and the occasional thresher sharks that eat them. Puerto Galera and Alona Beach are not to be missed.

In some areas lately I have seen reef bleaching, dead. Don't know the cause, but coral are the base of the food chain in the sea, and bleaching means fewer fish. Apo Island for instance has fewer fish than in the past and I am seeing a lot of bleaching there. Still a lot of fish, but fewer than before. The island is a sanctuary, only locals can fish using spear or cages, so I don't think that's the reason. Bleaching is a concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom