where in a (HOG) 2nd stage is dry ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not sure if this should go into HOG section or here, but I kind of want to know the general concept. So here I go:

I took apart the HOG 2nd stage for cleaning sand (another thread another story). It seem to me except one area, everythere inside a 2nd stage can get wet if you just submerge it into water even when pressurized. The holes on the barrel in let water get in, so the entire barrel inside can get wet. The only dry area would be from the seat/sealing surface and upstream, into the LP hose. If you depress the purge submerged and unpressureized, water will get in there. But you can always pressurize and purge the water out. The only issue I can see is if you let salt water in there, let it dry and crystalized into salt, it could affect the sealing surface. Did I miss anything?

eelnoraa, you need to change your Dives: count on your profile :rofl3:

The dry area should be right under the diaphragm seating, near the holes in the barrel. The holes let in ambient water pressure which presses on the diaphragm. On the other side of the diaphragm is your first stage's dry internal workings.

Edit:
Opps, missed the word 2nd stage. The entire area inside the second stage can get wet. The seat prevents water from entering your hose, sans pressure.
This is why you shouldn't press the purge when rinsing and why pressurising your reg when rinsing is a good idea as a safety net.

When your reg is pressurized, there's usually enough air pressure to prevent water from getting on the other side of the seat; should you purge/lift the seat.
If you do get salt water on the seating, it could potentially affect the sealing surface when it crystallizes.

I don't know what happened in my profile. I have changed it but desn't seem to show up properly.

2nd stage, at least the HOG one, then is very simple. I took it apart for cleaning, put back together, adjust breathing pressure, all for less then 30 minutes. And this is my first time doing this kind of things. I can only imagine a trained tech will do it in half the time. I can't believe LDS charge $25 for doing it.

I don't know what happened in my profile. I have changed it but desn't seem to show up properly.

2nd stage, at least the HOG one, then is very simple. I took it apart for cleaning, put back together, adjust breathing pressure, all for less then 30 minutes. And this is my first time doing this kind of things. I can only imagine a trained tech will do it in half the time. I can't believe LDS charge $25 for doing it.
Good for you :) !!!!...If you get the manual and a few gauges you'll be able to rebuild your gear, adjust it to exactly the way you like it and for a lot less than some one else......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom