Where does your cell phone work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Tavi

Interesting, Here Verizon and Cingular are in competition.

For a while here they were all changing names so fast, we could hardly keep track.

And to make it worse, there are resellers that change names almost weekly.

AT&T and it works very well in Cozumel, I have used it several times with no problems.

ID - The Connected Lizzard

I can use my tri-mode Verizon phone anywhere in the continental US. Would give anything to test it out in Coz, Bahamas, Roatan, etc! :eek:ut:

Originally posted by Dee
I can use my tri-mode Verizon phone anywhere in the continental US. Would give anything to test it out in Coz, Bahamas, Roatan, etc! :eek:ut:

do this for you.

You give me your cell phone and next time I am in Coz I will test it out for you.

What are firends for?

ID

After posting my original question, I've done some more research into this, and thought I would share what I've learned. GSM is the best for Europe, Asia, and major metropolitan areas in the USA. Here in Nevada, Cingular provides GSM, but almost everywhere else, it's Voice Stream. AT&T has just added GSM service in the states. But, like Detroit Diver said, TDMA is the best for the Caribbean. (With the exception of the French islands; they use GSM) Mexico and points south, look like they use CDMA, as well as analog. Some Caribbean islands, such as Grand Cayman, use analog, too. Nextel confuses me, so I won't even try to guess about them. GSM seems like the wave of the future, but wouldn't help me in the Carib. I read somewhere you can buy a prepaid phone card on Grand Cayman for use with your TDMA phone, but I'm not sure if you can receive incoming calls. This is all just info I've read, and is no substitute for real world experience, so thanks everyone for responding with your personal experiences. Hopefully, we can get even more input, as we all continue to travel.
And, Tavi, don't you like to sit on a beach somewhere tropical and call your non-diving friends back home, just to gloat good-naturedly? Just a little?

Originally posted by sumguy

And, Tavi, don't you like to sit on a beach somewhere tropical and call your non-diving friends back home, just to gloat good-naturedly? Just a little?

Nope!, on our last trip our second bedroom sat empty for two weeks. We had offered it to most of our freinds and they didn't want to go!!
I'm not going to waste my vacation time or $ gloating to people who weren't interested. They can hear all about it when I get back!
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom