Where does rec stop and commercial start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquadyne DM.....what, 7? 9? One was the hard hat, one a band mask. 'The Pig...'

004_4.JPG013_13.jpg

Aquadyne DM 7 old school, without the shell that made it a helmet. Here's the Aquadyne AH 2 mated deepsea rig style to Viking.

Last edited:
As an engineer and dive boat captain, seeing a picture of a guy wearing a superlite, I'm surprised you'd make this statement. Anyone who ever installed a mooring knows that a concrete anchor won't hold hardly anything, a big liveaboard will drag 4 55 gal drums of concrete around all day. If you're making an anchor it has to grab the sand like an anchor, or a stack of railroad wheels or a long chain. No one would use a concrete sinker. A 1" dia type 316 SS U-bolt (95,000 lbs break strength) sunk 2 1/2 feet into a dead stony coral and secured with Portland type 2 will last far longer than the 1 5/8 Sampson Ultra Blue (58,000 lbs break strength) attached to it. No one in the world would ever question using a line strength of up to 50,000 lbs to hold any 100 foot liveaboard in up to 100 knots of wind, and if the fine folks at Kwaj are out diving in 100 knots, the strength of their moorings are the least of their concerns, or at least way down on the list.

When one says "one inch pin" I am thinking embedment depth because that is what a contractor would focus on. I agree that a solid embedded anchor is far superior to a gravity anchor. I have a photo of me off Catalina in front of a 10 for dia Gravity anchor in 60 feet of water that is turned up on its side. Obviously didn't stay where it was placed.

What I don't get is what part of my original statement that you are supposed I would make?

Other assumptions I made are 1. It's a dive club, how many members of the club would know to use the USN Mooring Design Manual to figure the anchorage. 2. The OP never mentioned it was on a military base. You would think there are some Army or Navy construction divers around.

Aquadyne DM.....what, 7? 9? One was the hard hat, one a band mask. 'The Pig...'

The DMC-7 was the helmet. The DM-5 and DM-6 were the band masks. The only difference between the DM-5 & 6 is that the 6 had two ear phones and the 5 had just one. All three models had a Scubapro R 109 second stage built into them. His is a band mask but I can not see from the pic if it is a 5 or 6.

The DMC-7 was the helmet. The DM-5 and DM-6 were the band masks. The only difference between the DM-5 & 6 is that the 6 had two ear phones and the 5 had just one. All three models had a Scubapro R 109 second stage built into them. His is a band mask but I can not see from the pic if it is a 5 or 6.

ok ok ok here is my 2 cents

...another difference between the 5 and 6 was.....no side block on the 5 and as far as im concerned, the 6 IS the most comfy of any bandmask. The 7 in my opion IS the comfy of all the modern demand helmets. Given all that, Ill still don a miller over any.

If the coms stayed dry, those/these masks (shall not call them hats due to the scolding here in the past lol) ... again they were/are the best in the industry. But, just one screw on those ear cups loosen and leaky leak leak.

and to stay on subject...rec diving equals pretty fish. Commercial diving means being in the mud imagining all the monsters lurking just out of hands reach.

ok ok ok here is my 2 cents

...another difference between the 5 and 6 was.....no side block on the 5 and as far as im concerned, the 6 IS the most comfy of any bandmask. The 7 in my opion IS the comfy of all the modern demand helmets. Given all that, Ill still don a miller over any.

If the coms stayed dry, those/these masks (shall not call them hats due to the scolding here in the past lol) ... again they were/are the best in the industry. But, just one screw on those ear cups loosen and leaky leak leak.

and to stay on subject...rec diving equals pretty fish. Commercial diving means being in the mud imagining all the monsters lurking just out of hands reach.

You are mistaken about the DM-5 not having a side block and the DMC-7 was FAR from being the most comfortable in my opinion. I never tried a DM-6 bandmask but the KMB-8 bandmask I used was very comfortable. That being said I would agree that the Miller 200 I tried would be my top pick also.

You are mistaken about the DM-5 not having a side block and the DMC-7 was FAR from being the most comfortable in my opinion. I never tried a DM-6 bandmask but the KMB-8 bandmask I used was very comfortable. That being said I would agree that the Miller 200 I tried would be my top pick also.

...we are both correct. The 5 and 6 were manufactured with side blocks. When GA introduced the Externally Adjustable Orifice (straight down tube to EAO which meant fine tuning) the 5 changed. Around somewhere of late80s I purchased this to retro a dmc 6, as my 7 had one already....was told by jim in St Louis that the EAO was a "drop in" for all hats except the dmc5 "it longer has a side block". The 5 ended up being configured for SCUBA. My apologies for not being complete in my post.

Unfortunately couple yrs later GA line of equipment ceased production. Can still get parts and I think Jim still operates the St Louis shop. AND, there is a "new" GA manufactured these day by shop in Jacksonville Fl

.....as for comfort. We all have our favorite rides. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom