Where do you post your work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well…I was thinking of just walking the beach!

“Hello, are you for scuba?” “No” “Ok, want to buy a photo?”

Anyway sounds like prints are more likely to sell in real life and digital is more likely to sell online.
That’s true, and even with a lot of traffic referrals an real life connections are still where it’s at.

Thanks for the tip! I was about to submit to a bunch of those sites.
It’s really starting to sound like Flickr may be the best bet due to their partnership with Getty.
Along with maybe a few of the other high traffic (non stock) sites.

Well I have been looking for a career change…or these days just a job.

I bumped this thread to see if anyone has other ideas. I recently put up a few dozen images on Alamy. I also post them on Scubaboard and Instagram. I've never sold a photo but have had many published in free magazines. One of my dive buddies has sold hundreds of his photos but is very tight-lipped about what I should do. He hates competition. :)

I have a smugmug account and I post all my prints (and the occasional video) on smugmug.com.

You do have to pay a yearly subscription fee that varies depending on the type of subscription you have, but there are no ads and multiple page styles and layouts.

It took a year, but I finally had my first two sales this month. My share of the proceeds is $37.01 and Alamy doesn't pay you until you have a balance of $50. I guess I won't be a professional photographer until I sell one more photo. :(

It took a year, but I finally had my first two sales this month. My share of the proceeds is $37.01 and Alamy doesn't pay you until you have a balance of $50. I guess I won't be a professional photographer until I sell one more photo. :(

I have read your thread and checked in on Alamy, ShutterShock, Adobe to see what the QC process was

Shuttershock review was extremely professional clearly done by fellow photographers. Adobe seems to have a lot of artificial intelligence as it was able to propose automatic keywords with high accuracy
Alamy was the worse they took my split shot and wrote that was heavily manipulate (completely false) has softness issue and that it has noise (I think they are referring at some of the microscopic fish in water on the bottom) clearly the review is not done by a photographer

19429478382_c45844d9c6_c.jpg
Sunset by Interceptor121, on Flickr

The one great thing about Alamy is that they pay you 50%. The others don't.

There are plenty of bad stories about unclear payments at alamy and yes 50% of what considering the audience is much smaller. I just don't like a QC process that cannot see the wood from the trees

It's been two years since I sold my first two photos. Alamy eventually cleared a third and I was paid $79. I added accounts with Adobe and Shutterstock. I made $35 from Shutterstock and will get a $59 payment on May 1st from Alamy. Certainly not getting rich, but it's nice to feel appreciated.

Someone on Scubaboard liked one of Merry's photos and wanted to pay for a copy. I put it on Alamy for Merry and never heard from the potential buyer. Yesterday, the Monterey Bay Aquarium paid $532.50 for the use of her photo of a basket star. Not bad for a "beginner". :)
Basket star Aq_DSC3849.jpg

It's a grind, and a lot of work, and I don't like it, but I don't think you can beat instagram for traffic alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom