Where do you post your work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still photos on my own website.

The once in a blue moon videos on YouTube.

Do you mean "get exposure" commercially or just showing for fun?

Like many others I have a website.

UnderwaterPhotography.com #1 for underwater photography has a photo contest that gets a lot of traffic. I used to post there quite often.

Commercially I use Photographers Direct | professional stock photography images | buy photo stock images and have quite a few photos on Stock Photos and Royalty Free Images : Stock Photography | Alamy

Most of the photos I have had published though have been through word of mouth or connections.

It pays to be in a isolated area and be one of the few photographers around though with enough stock to be of any help to anyone.

Last edited:
This thread just reminded me to check my Alamy account. Here is the last image I sold. Just to give you an idea about what commercial photography is all about at the bottom.

BMRK72.jpg

It sold at the smallest size, basically thumbnail for 5 bucks. The largest size would be $365.00. But the point is, if you want to sell photography you have to think outside the box. I took this photo shortly after the BP oil spill.

Going back to another thread where I posted some images and someone said the watermark took away from the viewing experience. Would you have watermarked this photo had you decided to post it on the interent for whatever reason? Probably not eh?

Do you mean "get exposure" commercially or just showing for fun?
Yeah, I meant commercial...or at elast where I'm likely to get mucho traffic.

It pays to be in a isolated area and be one of the few photographers around though with enough stock to be of any help to anyone.
And yet another reason to cruise further South!

It sold at the smallest size, basically thumbnail for 5 bucks. The largest size would be $365.00. But the point is, if you want to sell photography you have to think outside the box. I took this photo shortly after the BP oil spill.
Have you ever tried selling prints? Or just stock? BTW - Cool shot!

Not sure how commercial they are but you'd probably get some exposure in the galleries at DivePhotoGuide. Underwater Photography Underwater Pictures They also have contacts and the site is run by Jason Heller whose an industry pro.

I also had some stuff on istockphoto at one time. It's supposed to be one of the larger stock photo sites. My buddy has some images and simple animations - non-dive - there and he's made as much as $10K a year on them.

Thanks! Forgot all about istock. I was actually planning on joining that site a while ago.

Here's another question. Do you guys post all your stuff on these other sites or just your best and/or newest work, and keep your full portfolio on your own site?

I have sold just prints, but you have to have a venue of some sorts, either a "local artist" display at a gallery or a dive shop. Personal websites are fun, but lets face it...how much traffic do we really get? I have google analytics and I can tell you, even with a small amount of web presence you don't get very many hits a day.

Do some reading around before you start submitting to micro stock sites. The guy making 10K a year has a ton of photos up I bet and is good at focusing on what will sell. Now days you are competing with stay at home moms with simple cameras and a cheap light set up taking pictures of whatever they can think of.

Some sites where you will make better money per photo won't allow you to submit if you are using the larger micro stock places. You almost have to make it two separate businesses.

Also, read very carefully the rules for submission regarding the image itself. I think most sites reject your first batch just to see if you are really serious. Photographers Direct, which is not a stock site actually, will let you upload a portfolio. They have a rating system where a real person (who knows who though) rates your photo before it is put on the site. That can be fun in a way, but also humbling. Photographers Direct by the way is very good for inquiries if you are doing other types of photography in an area (wedding for one). Once you are established there you come up very high in searches for your area.

All of this is VERY time consuming. Each site has different rules of what size, etc they want you to submit. My opinion is for stock you have to have literally thousands of photos up to even start to see real income. This could take a year of part time work, submitting alone.

Unless you are one of the very few who have a big name, you better put your good stuff up if you want to sell anything. Unless you are just focusing on micro stock (taking pictures of everyday items just to put on the stock site).

Making money off of photos you take for fun would be great...but to really make anything you have to make it your job.

And in most cases yes, move further south.

Back
Top Bottom