Where do instructors get paid the best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy:
I hear that DMs and Instructors are in short supply in Maui with shops starting DMs at around $450/500 per week......Instr. are starting at $30,000/35,000 per year.

But ya gotta make $1200 week to make ends meet :wink:

What a sad state of affairs! It's sad that the sarcasm is not far from the truth. In fact it is probably a tad on the optimistic side!

im not an instructor, but i am thinking that if i could get my instructors, would be a fun job for the summers inbetween school. I was talking to one instrucotr, and he told me in 9 years he has not made a profit(teaching part time). He said the wages only slightly offset your professionsal insurance.

^*^BATMAN^*^:
im not an instructor, but i am thinking that if i could get my instructors, would be a fun job for the summers inbetween school. I was talking to one instrucotr, and he told me in 9 years he has not made a profit(teaching part time). He said the wages only slightly offset your professionsal insurance.

That sounds about right. If you qork a part time job during school and save your money you may be able to afford to teach during summer break. LOL

You could always open a dive shop and spend all your money at once. It might be better than dragging it out.

jhamblett:
I was wondering where in the United States or the World persay, do Scuba instructors get paid the best wages, also what do these wages consist of.

Simple: they get paid the best at their other full time job in the real world. It is more a question of how much is lost than earned when teaching scuba.

The old saying holds true: "How do you make a small fortune in diving? Start with a large one." :wink:

Because so many people lose money through teaching diving I've seen a lot of good instructors pack it in, which is said as the students they've taught are great divers.

It would be nice if people didn't look for the cheapest priced courses which seems to have forced prices in many areas to unworkably low levels, but I guess it's human nature to look for a 'bargain'.

What i dont understand is where all the $$ goes...
students pay way too much, and instructers get way too little. does ALL of it go to the shop?

well i figure petrol for the boat, boat maintenance, pay for boat driver who waits on top, gear for rent, own gear, insurance, rent for schooling rooms and equipment rooms, compressor, petrol or electricity for compressor, the form you fill out to get your c-card costs SFR 50 (USD 1 = SFR 1.27), spare parts, commisions for resorts/diveshops, etc.

dsaxe01:
What i dont understand is where all the $$ goes...
students pay way too much, and instructers get way too little. does ALL of it go to the shop?
way to much for what ?
Most students shop for the cheapest class, the store pays acordingly using the education as a loss leader to get people to buy gear, the shop also keeps the doors open for people to be able to get a class and some shop owners have to feed a family too.
Instructors generally don't get pay rises but what theother local stores pay, its like it is also a matter of playing on the loyalty of their instructors.
so to answer your question store gets some padi gets a little and instructor the store would hate to make a profit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom