Where do I put my exhaust valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noshow

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello to all dry suit divers...

Next week I am planning on ordering my first dry suit; a new Whites Aqua Pro. Whites are flexible when you order and give you the option of placing the exhaust valve wherever you want it.

I took my Dry Suit Specialty course and used a neoprene suit with the exhaust valve on the forearm. I found it very easy to manipulate and vent the air. I liked it. That said I have not tried an upper arm placed valve.

Can I get your opinions and comments on why one would choose one over the other and your personal preference if you have tried both?

Huge thanks!!!

No Show
:cheers:

Im just the opposite of you.Mine is on my upper arm and i dive in a shell suit.I have never had any problems with reaching the valve or releasing the air in it.I think my main concern with having it lower would be hitting it on stuff and breaking it.Im sure you will get some good advice on this from the others.Enjoy your suit and dive safe!!

I have both....
Always used a shoulder dump but currently use a suit with a wrist dump and I like it....
Just bought another suit that has a shoulder dump and if I don't like it I will install a wrist dump too....
I think that the key is to keep as much gas out of the suit as possible in the first place and to keep well ahead of the expansion on ascent....

Vent early and vent often is my motto. :D

I have used a cuff dump, they are simpler and cheaper, I thought mine leaked, but that suit had so many leaks I got fed up spending money unsuccesfully trying to fix it, an junked it.
The suit I use now has an auto shoulder dump its distributed by Apex. They dont quite balance automaticaly on ascent, you have to lift the shoulder now and again. I have wondered about the best position for an auto dump, mine is level with the inlet valve, if it was lower or higher on the shoulder how would it effect the lift capacity of the suit. I also wonder if it would be better to put the auto valve at the back of the sleeve so that the valve faces upwards when finning I think it might make the auto dump function more effecient. Any of you people make your own suits, and had the opportunity to experiment?

Cuff dumps get in the way for me, I can't stand cuff rings either.
Shoulder dumps (left upper arm) seem to be a good spot. You can vent it without using your hands just by raising your arm & hitting it with your head if you happen to find yourself in a spot where all your hands are used up.

Thanks all but I'm still on the fence... ;-0

Do the forearm exhaust valves get in the way of attachements???

What to do...

:bonk:

No Show

Back
Top Bottom