Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(after contacting my son to let him know I was going on a solo dive and to expect my text by a certain time, or send help)

and why on earth would you want to put this on your son

They will find your vehicle eventually

and why on earth would you want to put this on your son

They will find your vehicle eventually

Well let's see, my son is a responsible adult in his 20s, and I am sure my ex wife would not give 2 s#its. I believe it is imperative, if one is diving solo, that you have someone who can raise an alarm if you do not return from a solo dive. Usually, someone who loves you will want to make sure you are safe. Why would I not use a family member for this task? All the solo divers I know, are on the phone, texting with loved ones when they are out of the water. Letting people you know, what you are doing, IS part of the solo course. I have talked with my kids about this, before I even did the Solo course; that I would be contacting them, when I dive solo, to give them my "flight plan". They are my loved ones.

Why on earth would I not contact my family members ??

I leave my "float plans" that include time of entry/exit and location with somebody who isn't diving with me and isn't on the same site even when I am diving with a buddy let alone diving "solo". It is part of good diving practices.

Rütennen, Beckenried, Kanton Nidwalden, Switzerland.

Google Maps

Information of the Dive Spot

Nice Spot with a great and deep Wall, i love this Spot :heart::heart::heart:

Here a Video from April with my Frogfriends :D

That is so cool! I''ve never seen frogs while diving. What an awesome (and different) experience. Great video!

Wed, the 21st of July, I showed up at the dive site chosen for my early morning dive group. Apparently, I was the only one who got out of bed, it was 6:30 am. With a 3 day old Solo cert under my belt, I decided to jump in anyway. (after contacting my son to let him know I was going on a solo dive and to expect my text by a certain time, or send help) Willis Point Dive site, in the Saanich Inlet, on Vancouver Island, is a wall dive. There are ancient glass boot sponges, growing off the wall, as well as a failed homemade submarine type thingy on the bottom. 37 min, max depth 99', water temp 11C at the bottom. Vis below the top 30', opened up to 50-60'. Watch out for Fried Egg Jellies.

That is the great thing about being solo, no hassle if other's don't show. I text my wife location, planned entry and planned end time with a contact by "X" time. If I didn't have her it would likely be my son or daughter. Currently making a sheet with locations, contact info for hospitals etc to leave at the house.

That is the great thing about being solo, no hassle if other's don't show. I text my wife location, planned entry and planned end time with a contact by "X" time. If I didn't have her it would likely be my son or daughter. Currently making a sheet with locations, contact info for hospitals etc to leave at the house.

When I contacted my son, he got: where I was, when I was hitting the water, which direction I was going, when I expect to be out, and latest time to expect a txt from me. All important info, if things go south.

My wife (who also dives) has always being very supportive of me solo diving (she understands I don't really have anyone who can dive with me on my schedule, and who is willing to dive a lot of the random lakes and springs that I go to!). However recently she said that I needed to do a better job of telling her where I was going and when I would be back. She pointed out that if anything happened she wouldn't even know where to tell people to look for me (I dive all over Florida)! This really hit home (I felt bad!), and so now I text her the Google maps location of where I am diving, and I text her as I get in the water and when I get out. This give her peace of mind.

I totally agree that as Solo divers, while we get to enjoy the freedom and fun of diving on our own, we need to balance that with making sure our loved ones are comfortable with what we are doing. A simple text message goes a long way!

July 26th, I went to Willis Point, in the Saanich Inlet, Vancouver Island. 6:53 pm water entry, 69' was the deepest I went. My average depth was 43', over 35 min. Water temp was 11C at depth and 14C at the surface. Vis was crap for the 1st 30', French Canadian Pea Soup colour, lucky to be able to see 1'. After that, it opened up nicely with distant vistas highlighted by my light.
So that I would not involve my son in my dive plan, why the world would I? I called one of my DAUGHTERS and gave her my "dive plan".
Started the dive with 3500 psi, (100cu Hp Faber), ended with 1250psi.
My pony is a 30cu Catalina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom