Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Samish.

It was cold and boring, and that's OK.

Basically just a self-check dive after the winter off season. First time in the water in almost 6 months, so chose something local and easy.

Wore the 7mm for the first time in a couple of years and it is still a PITA. It will probably go back in the closet and I will dive my 3/2mm in the salt. Seemed like I needed a lot more air in my BCD than I remember and I'm not sure if that is the fresh water or if my body composition has changed some. Will do a proper weight check when I get back in the bay.

Did a couple reg switches. Vis was 10' at best, probably from the runoff. Didn't see a single fish.

30 FFW for 36 minutes
2400 psi start, 895 finish on the steel 72
2400/2400 pony
Water temp 48 deg F
ahh lucky you are coldest i dove in a 7 mm is 55 deg F. i am waiting for the water temperature to rise up it s at 39 deg F now.

ahh lucky you are coldest i dove in a 7 mm is 55 deg F. i am waiting for the water temperature to rise up it s at 39 deg F now.
I usually dive 55 degree water in a 3/2. That's about all the warmer Puget Sound gets, even in summer.

I did a solo yesterday morning off Hollywood Beach. Was hoping my buddy would join and we would go for lobster (last day of the season), but we didn't connect. So I solo'd. Only found one legal sized bug and it will live to tell the story of how it evaded my snare. The others were too small. At least a year away before they are tempting. Viz was in the 10ft range, and the water was cooler than anticipated. Glad I had my 5mm. Still managed to get in over 110 minutes before deciding to go back to shore.

I usually dive 55 degree water in a 3/2. That's about all the warmer Puget Sound gets, even in summer.
holy guacamole ! you handle it better than me. iam in a 3/2 under the shower and i am cold 😂

All the videos I see of lobstering in Florida make it look so easy. Nice to have a reality check!
It's not real hard, but you need to have the lobsters around to catch them! Off the beach they have been sparse, deeper boat dives has been good this season.

ya'll are hard core cold water divers. This warm water wuss gets very cold easily.. The 5mm on Sunday in (don't laugh!) 73* water was good for the first half hour or so. Also, I don't swim much so not much body heat is produced. A two hour dive will get ya cold even in warmer water.

It's not real hard, but you need to have the lobsters around to catch them! Off the beach they have been sparse, deeper boat dives has been good this season.

In my area, the lobster diving is pretty bad. It's quite pillaged, but it's good a couple of hours up the coast. Our lobsters (we call them crayfish for some reason) are often deep in crevices and generally hard to catch (for me anyway!), so I look on with envy at the Florida scene!

ya'll are hard core cold water divers. This warm water wuss gets very cold easily.. The 5mm on Sunday in (don't laugh!) 73* water was good for the first half hour or so. Also, I don't swim much so not much body heat is produced. A two hour dive will get ya cold even in warmer water.
My wife dives in a drysuit on our warm water dive trips...84 deg F and she's just fine in her drysuit. LOL!

My wife dives in a drysuit on our warm water dive trips...84 deg F and she's just fine in her drysuit. LOL!

I was about to say sounds good to me, then did the conversion to degrees C and yes, that is a little OTT! Not that it would be uncomfortable, but I'd choose to save the wear and tear on a drysuit at those temperatures. Under 25 degrees C (77 degrees F) and I like to be in a drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom