Where can I go in a time of Covid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you know, SE Florida can be hit or miss. I've got some friends that live in Tulum and they tell me there's some spectacular wall diving to be had.

so wish I could go "home" to Cayman right now...

Have you thought about California? The capt. /owner of the Escapade in Monterey is a tech diver and runs a lot of charters for GUE. Colder water but amazing diving. I don't go that deep but I am told that there is amazing life off the deep pinnacles.

Good luck getting on the Escapade; they ONLY run GUE trips and charters for 1 or 2 local shops. I believe they book about a year in advance. If you don’t know the captain, aren’t GUE, or your not taking AOW you ain’t going on the Escapade.

You might get lucky with Rektek charters off of the Double Down. If the captain has time he will take you.

I will have to check this out. Mostly I will have to see if my students can make the trip.

Considering WI's current numbers and that the place is up in the mask deniers' country, you might want to check if you and they can come back home, too.

Several dive shops are open on St Croix in the US Virgin Islands and I know that deep wall diving and tech diving has been available there in the past, so it’s probably still offered.

You won’t be leaving the US or traveling internationally to visit the USVI but you will need a negative Covid test that was taken within 5 days of travel to the island.

Good luck getting on the Escapade; they ONLY run GUE trips and charters for 1 or 2 local shops. I believe they book about a year in advance. If you don’t know the captain, aren’t GUE, or your not taking AOW you ain’t going on the Escapade.

You might get lucky with Rektek charters off of the Double Down. If the captain has time he will take you.
I didn’t realize that Monterey has become such a koolaider spot, that’s too bad :(
So there aren’t really any dive boats that cater to just regular divers anymore? I was hoping to get down there finally after several years of not having the time but I guess not :(
It would make sense since Monterey isn’t really considered a dive destination spot per say. I mean it’s nice, but I also see how they could lose market share of regular dive tourism just based on the overall decline in scuba diving in general.
The dive boat (s) have to stay in business somehow.

As you know, SE Florida can be hit or miss. I've got some friends that live in Tulum and they tell me there's some spectacular wall diving to be had.

so wish I could go "home" to Cayman right now...

Yup, diving out of Tulum is logistically very easy. short boat rides, easy fills, and if the ocean blows out we have access to inland sites that get to 80m (but you'll need a local guide with you to get access to that). If you'd like any info, shoot me a PM.

I didn’t realize that Monterey has become such a koolaider spot, that’s too bad :(
So there aren’t really any dive boats that cater to just regular divers anymore? I was hoping to get down there finally after several years of not having the time but I guess not :(
It would make sense since Monterey isn’t really considered a dive destination spot per say. I mean it’s nice, but I also see how they could lose market share of regular dive tourism just based on the overall decline in scuba diving in general.
The dive boat (s) have to stay in business somehow.

The beach hopper is still open to everyone but it rarely goes out of the bay; I can only go to Hopkins and Eriks pinnacle so many times.

The Escapade does routinely go to Carmel and beyond but they won’t let you play unless you drink the GUE kool-aid and join BAUE. As conformance has never been my thing I’ve decided to not give them my money.

ETA: I hope the Escapade folks read the above statement and realize their business practices alienate people.

The beach hopper is still open to everyone but it rarely goes out of the bay; I can only go to Hopkins and Eriks pinnacle so many times.

The Escapade does routinely go to Carmel and beyond but they won’t let you play unless you drink the GUE kool-aid and join BAUE. As conformance has never been my thing I’ve decided to not give them my money.

ETA: I hope the Escapade folks read the above statement and realize their business practices alienate people.
I liked it when both the Cypress Sea and the Cypress Point we’re running plus a variety of other boats. Those were good times.
With the Escapade, I doubt they care that they are alienating people. They probably see BAUE as an insurance policy that their boat will be booked on a regular basis. Is the owner of the Escapade a big koolaider themselves?
That whole world isn’t my cup of tea, but I can see how the Escapade got “privatized”.
What two shops does the Escapade deal with? I would like to make a few phone calls and ask a few questions.

What about Phil Sammet’s operation doing tech dives off his inflatable, is that still running?

What other boats are running out of Monterey these days, Who’s left?

If BAUE business is enough to keep them afloat, it's probably well worth it for the peace of mind of knowing exactly how all their customers will plan and conduct their dives as well as general skill level and experience.

If BAUE business is enough to keep them afloat, it's probably well worth it for the peace of mind of knowing exactly how all their customers will plan and conduct their dives as well as general skill level and experience.

I believe this is exactly correct WRT their mindset.

That being said, I only see minimal correlation between being GUE and skill set / experience. I know good divers who are not GUE and I know bad divers who are GUE.

Their boat, there rules; my money my choice where to spend it.

FWIW, I have done fundies and several of my dive buddies are in BAUE.

That's enough of derailing this thread and Escapade bashing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom