Where can I buy metric titanium screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@kelemvor any links or guidance that you can provide? I need a drone that will lift 0.7#/ 2 kg and stay up for at least 60 minutes. If it could stay up for 2 hours I'd be tickled. Application is to take hourly weather measurements.

In my minds design the motor is mounted underneath a piece of material and the screw is counter sunk into that material. To be honest that was just for pretty looks...

but all of this is null depending on the material the motor is mounted to. He could use the strongest fastener, but if he is mounting through a 3d printed plastic part it won't matter much (over time). . .
Given the requirements of his vehicle, it sounds like something a good bit more substantial than your typical 3d printed quad copter. Probably fixed wing with that capacity and range. I'm assuming based on the statement that others using the same motor are snapping fastener heads that the mounting material is adequate.

I'd still try to solve this problem in a way that doesn't require the fasteners being the shear path.

@kelemvor any links or guidance that you can provide? I need a drone that will lift 0.7#/ 2 kg and stay up for at least 60 minutes. If it could stay up for 2 hours I'd be tickled. Application is to take hourly weather measurements.
Would a tethered He-filled weather balloon work for your application? Probably much cheaper, near infinite endurance (powered tether or solar for instrumentation) and easier to manage.

Would a tethered He-filled weather balloon work for your application? Probably much cheaper, near infinite endurance (powered tether or solar for instrumentation) and easier to manage.

We currently are using a 15' x 6' tethered balloon filled with 400 cu ft of He for a day's flight. Another 50 cu ft or so are needed to fully inflate it and top it off for a second day of flight which means another tank. We fly it up to 1000 ft. but mostly around 500 ft. One problem is that it takes 3 people to manage and a fair amount of planning and logistics not to mention being subject to weather. Those costs add up and could quickly be offset by a drone plus it being easier to deploy.

Well this started as a fun electronics/3d printing project. Then I got into some scope creep as all projects do. I'm still learning as I go, and it isn't flying yet.. but hopefully by this weekend it will be in the air. Keep in mind that larger drones like this have some FAA requirements.

The easiest way to go is to buy either a commercially produced drone or a "ready to fly" aka RTF from a store. You can get cheap toys, you can get "racing" drones (probably the most popular). You can get photography drones, and industrial drones. They're commonly used for spraying crops with pesticide for example.

One thing I've learned is that there's not (or at least I did not find) a good resource to get started with questions like yours. I've had to scrape together some knowledge and so I've probably got some huge knowledge gaps.

Hour long flights will require a big battery. That in turn means everything needs to be a little bigger because batteries are heavy. I'm using a 10,000mah (10ah) battery that weighs 1.5kg/3.3lb. Combined with the other components I've selected it should give me that nice long flight time I want.

Assuming you're not looking to spend tens of thousands on a true "commercial" drone you might want to browse around on the dji website. www.dji.com. They are probably the biggest name in consumer drones. They're proud of their stuff so it's a bit on the expensive side but by no means the most expensive. They make various drones such as the "phantom" and "Mavic" and quote flight times of about 30 minutes. The best part about their stuff is that you can just walk into a store like Best Buy and purchase one. Then go home and fly it.

If you want something autonomous, start reading here: ArduPilot Documentation — ArduPilot documentation There are other autopilot solutions, for example the aforementioned DJI sells autopilot computers and other components for semi-DIY drones.

If you want to go with a bigger/better system, check out "T-Motor". Their stuff is WAY more expensive than DJI but it's the real deal. You could even put together one capable of carrying a person. T-MOTOR Store-Official Store for T-motor drone motor,ESC,Propeller

That drone I'm building... I haven't actually added it all up but I think I've got about $1,400.00 into it at this point. WAY more than I intended on spending.

Thanks. I have looked at DJI and the Mavic but the flight times aren't long enough. I will give another look, though.

We do get FAA waivers to fly the balloon.

A price of $1,400 is around the point where we want to be so an approach similar to yours is worth looking into.

@-JD- , yes we do mount sensors on radio towers but this location did not have any willing to allow plus the client preferred the ground based sodar and the need to calibrate it with the tethersonde.

In that case:

Here is my current build. Note that that flight time is calculated, not actually tested. However, the cargo capacity is such that I could easily add two or even three of the 10,000mah batteries to increase flight time.

Controller: FrSKY Horus X10 Express (flashed to the open source OpenTX)
Transmitter transceiver: FrSKY R9M2019 (1 watt 900mhz)
Receiver transceiver: FrSKY R9 Slim+ OTA (both transmitter and receiver actually transmit AND receive)
Frame: TAROT 650 Sport Quadcopter Frame TL65S01 with Electric Retractable Landing Skid W/ Arris Battery Straps
Propeller: TAROT 1555 High Efficient Folding Propeller w/Bracket (CW/CCW) TL100D04 (x2 for four total)
Motor: 4x TAROT 4008MT TL2955 (four of these, obviously)
Flight Controller: Holybro Durandal
Power Management: Pixhawk 4 Power Module (PM07) (This is a combined Power Distribution Board and battery Power Management board)
Battery: Tattu Plus 10000mAh 22.2V 25C 6S Lipo Smart Battery Pack (250amp max current output)
ESC: 4x Holybro Tekko32 F3 Metal ESC (AKA phase inverter, drives 3 phase motors. 65 amp capacity per ESC)
GPS: 2x Holybro Pixhawk4 GPS Module (each includes both IST8310 compass and UBLOX M8N GPS chip)
Software: Ardupilot (main software on the drone its-self) OpenTX (on the transmitter) QGroundControl (base station/laptop)

Notes: I haven't finished it yet. Notice there are no cameras. I also plan to add at least two lidar sensors, and one sonar sensor to aid with landing and object avoidance. Lidar is more precise but shorter range than sonar. I intend to control the unit from a base station (laptop computer) . I'll define a flight plan, and the autopilot will fly it. The autopilot can make truly autonomous decisions like flying around an object or adjusting for high winds. The flight controller has many integrated sensors (multiple accelerometors, multiple gyroscope, barometer, magnetometer).

The range capability of this thing should be well beyond the range of my transceiver. However I don't think I'm willing to take that risk because then you've got no ability to recover from an emergency. If you're flying way up into the atmosphere to take a reading, you might have to do that or build a better transceiver.

Although I intend to fly exclusively autonomously with the autopilot system, you're required to have a controller. I suppose in case something goes wrong and you need to take direct control. Also, FAA requires you to fly within line of sight and at a max height of 300' although your exemption might get you around these. If it does, maybe you could reciprocate the information exchange and tell me how to apply for such an exemption.

Parts I still need to decide on and purchase:
Optical Flow sensor (navigation aid in the event of GPS failure such as indoors)
Cameras
Lidar System
Sonar system
Airspeed Sensor
Btw, none of these sensors are super expensive. All are under $100. Some as cheap as $5. I guess you COULD get crazy with the lidar system in particular if you wanted.

Worthy of note: If I had to do it again, i would order a hex (six) frame. With a hex system, you can withstand 2 motor or ESC failures in the drive-train without crashing. With a quad system, any single motor failure will be catastrophic. Differences would be the frame, two additional motors, two additional ESC's. Each of this motor/propeller combination provides 2.2kg (4.8lb) of thrust at 100% speed.

This flight controller has easily accessible i2c and CAN bus ports. If you want to add something for your atmospheric testing (raspberry pi, Arduino, various others) it should be simple to do.

Warning: This thing is heavy (and thus dangerous). Also, the motors are powerful. The blades are metal. It will EASILY cut skin, muscle, and tendon. Might even slice into bone. Be careful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom