Where are Logbook files stored/backed up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trance

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I have to send my laptop back in for warranty and am going to be losing everything on my computer. I would like to know where the Logbook files for Cobalt 1 are located so I may transfer them to my external HDD. Or, are they backed up online somewhere? Once I receive the laptop back, and I reupload my files, I am assuming that all of my dive details are lost with exception to my paper copies? I'd like to be able to have them all upload untouched if possible.(I'm not the most computer saavy either).

Thanks!

-Trance

you did not say what operating system

In Win7 it is at C:\ProgramData\AtomicsAquatics\Cobalt-Logbook, I don't have anything with Win8 but I believe it is in the same location.

ProgramData is a hidden folder

You will still have all the dives that are stored on the Cobalt, so unless you have maxed out the Cobalt's storage, and are overwriting dives on the dive computer itself, they will still be on the Cobalt

Sorry, its Windows 8.1

---------- Post added January 11th, 2015 at 05:11 PM ----------

It appears that works for my Windows. I just copied everything that was located there. Hopefully that works. I only have about 110 files on my Cobalt. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Trance-
Unless you have a lot of dives on your Cobalt, with a very high sample storage rate, they would just upload again. At the default 30 second sample storage rate (that is the interval at which the Cobalt saves a complete "snapshot" of your dive data) the internal log on the Cobalt 1 will hold about 600 hours of diving. At some point the Cobalt will erase the oldest dives to make room for new, but only when all the memory sectors are full. Very few users have reached that point. Just uploading the dives doesn't do anything to the data stored on the Cobalt itself.

Ron

I know the Cobalt will hold my dives but I'm interested in the dive info that I input myself like locations, conditions and whatever comments that I input myself. That would be kept on the application on the laptop and not stored in the memory of the Cobalt correct since I can edit and save that without having the Cobalt linked.

Yes, you are correct. I misunderstood your concern. Anything you input on your PC would be saved only there, so that's the file you would need to save.

So am I safe to assume that the directions posted above and my copying of everything shown would have saved all the info? Should I take a screenshot of everything I dragged over and copied? I'm shipping the laptop back today. Thanks for the replies too!

I'm out of my depth with flavors of Windows and where things get stored, but I believe there is an export file/ database function built into the Atomic program- that would provide extra insurance. Sometimes we look at dive log databases people send us for diagnostic purposes.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom