When your equipment is in storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
for any reason is there a rule of thumbs that of the proper way to let your gear set for a month or two? Should you do your yearly service? wash it special and hang it in the closet? etc...

I'd clean it well and let it dry COMPLETELY.

Store in a cool dry place and not all piled on top of each
other.

I have a few storage bins: one for wetsuits and stuff,
one for stuff I no longer use (wanna buy it?), one for my
wife's mask, etc when she stops diving during late fall,
winter, early spring.

I dive year 'round so my gear is never stored: just hung to
dry and then packed the day before a dive.

I hung some PVC pipe from the ceiling supports and that is
what I drape my dry-dry suit or wetsuits over between dives.
It is wide enough that it does not compress the material.

FK,

The main things I am worried about during the winter off-season are my BC and my reg.

For my BC, I take a large hefty trash bag (unused, of course) and cover my BC with it. I leave the BC on the hanger and close the top of the bag with a twisty-tie around the top of the hanger so I can hang it up with the BC snug inside. I store my gear in my basement and just want to keep the dust out.

Same thing with the reg -- I coil it loosely and then put it inside of a garbage bag (no twisty tie -- I just fold the end over and leave the reg lying on top of the bag so it isn't hanging open) and then leave it lying on a secure shelf in my basement. Again -- just trying to keep dust and bugs away.

My wet suit I leave on a hanger year round

The rest of my gear stays inside a big Rubbermaid tote with the lid on.

Hope this helps.

If my gear were ever stored for that long, it would be thoroughly cleaned and dried. I have several rubbermaid-type tubs which I "store" my gear in; my gear resides in a large walk in closet. My wetsuit gets hung on a hanger, my drysuit is rolled and place in its bag. Tanks are stored upright with some air in them (usually full), regulators are coiled losely and placed in bins. BC's are placed in bins. I usually have my "outdoor" gear (versus pool gear) ready to go in one bin and pool gear in another. My stuff is rarely "stored" long enough for any concern on function. I know many divers that just dry everything and leave it packed in their dive bag until the next year's trip comes along. One thing to remember is that wetsuits, and potentially any rubber gear, if not stored correctly can gain "memory" meaning that if that wesuit is crushed when stored, it may take on that shape as the air pockets are damaged. This can severely limit the exposure protection offered.

Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom