When would you forego a solo dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is mostly a survey question:

I have cancelled a solo dive due to rough surf; not feeling well after arriving at the dive site, and just for a general 'not a good day to dive' feeling. How about you?

Same as above.

I've gotten to a dive site thinking I really wanted to dive... But then just simply didn't feel 100% "right" and decided not to.

I've also cut a few solo dives short due to a case of the "heebie jeebies". Something was not right, often could not put my finger on what was wrong.... the reef was not "happy", or I could be seeing the sea turtles acting "skittish".... sometimes a sign that a large Tiger has been around, so just returned to shore after only 20 minutes in the water.

Best wishes.

When my little voice starts talking to me I walk away:
This applies to solo or buddy diving.

I've called 6 dives so far, 3 solo and 3 buddy...

The first solo dive was called in the first 5 minutes when a regulator free flowed. I cleared it but the little voice said don't trust it and surfaced. This led to calling a buddy dive a couple weeks later where both regulators were showing micro bubbles. (Yes I had them serviced after the first event, and again after the second!)

This is mostly a survey question:

I have cancelled a solo dive due to rough surf;......
I have never canceled a solo dive due to rough surf, but there were two times when I should have.

I have cut short several dives when the viz was lousy, the surge was high, and I wasn't enjoying myself.

I was at La Jolla a few years back, knee deep in the water, when I decided I just didn't feel right, kind of weak and light headed, so I turned around and walked back to the car. Later that day I found myself with a fever, puking, and overall sick as dog crap.

Another time I was on a local boat off of Virginia beach, when vis sucked, the current was strong, and the surface was choppy and getting worse by the minute. The first dive was just plain no fun, so I called number two when I returned to the boat.

As an aside, I felt myself make a transition at about the hundred dive mark, from being hell bent on getting in the water no matter what, to a more zen-like "there will be another day" mindset. Probably no coincidence that is just the same minimum level of experience recommeded by SDI for starting solo diving. Yes I know that is a whole other thread...but the point is a key component of solo diving is being ready to walk away from a dive opportunity without thinking twice. Hard call for a beginner or novice, totally consumed by a passion to dive as I know I was, to make alone. I still have the passion, but tempered by experience.

I have the same rule of cancelling a dive when things just "do not feel right". Sometimes a bit difficult to explain to a buddy, and, a lot easier when solo diving.

My second rule is that of three mishaps, after which I cancel/terminate the dive. Last time when ice diving, I was in a hurry to the dive site. First I forgot both masks home. (insert four-letter word here). Then when descending underwater, my power inflator valve froze and began to freeflow. I was not able to dump the air as fast and soon made head-on contact with the ice overhead. (insert another four-letter word here.) Water temp was exactly 0 degrees centrigrade on the surface and air temp was minus 15. Then I solved the wing valve problem, and descended again. The third and final mishap was when my first stage froze and refused to give any gas. I dive with twin tanks so I changed to my spare reg and thumbed the dive. There will another day...

Anything that causes me to ask myself "why am I doing this" is a good reason to cancel a solo dive ... or any other dive, for that matter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In my country there is a law against solo diving,

Where do you live? Are you allowed to swim by your self? what about showering or going to the bathroom?

Where do you live? Are you allowed to swim by your self? what about showering or going to the bathroom?

I live in Israel. I am not sure, but I think it is the only country in the world in which scubadiving is regulated by state law :shakehead:

The law passed in the parliament back in the 60s. Following a few cases of diving accidents, a group of lobbyists who had commercial interest in regulating all scuba activities managed to convince some legislators that if the government won't take action there will be lots of fatalities etc. At that time, scuba was considered an extreme dangerous activity and the law passed.

So, a government "scubadiving authority" was established which was also the certifying agency, and also in charge of forcing the law. This authority, how surprisingly, was composed from the lobbyist that I've mentioned. This "scuba authority" established many regulations some of them may be perceived "good" and others seem a little odd and nowadays they just appear anachronistic.

Among these regulations are things like the obligation of certain scuba equipment that divers MUST carry. For example, the law states that a diver MUST carry a BCD. Now, if you dive in the summer, with only swimsuit and an AL tank you don't really need a BCD whatsoever, but the law says you must.

Thus, MonkeyDiving is actually illegal in our waters, as well a solo diving, or diving without the "proper" gear that is listed in the law.

And it goes on, such as insurance obligation, the permission to dive only if a valid dive in the logbook within 6 months (for OW and AOW divers) etc. etc.

Then, this authority have some "rangers" or "scuba police" which are supposed also to make sure the air compressors in dive clubs is well maintained, make sure divers are diving "in accordance with the law" and there have been cases in which they made summons to divers "for an investigation" or tried to confiscate c-cards from divers.

As you can see, dive clubs are extremely afraid of this scuba police because they can shut down the operation for a couple of months etc, so they are quite zealous of making sure everything a diver does is according the law, so if you come alone to fill your tanks, some dive ops will refuse before you show them a legitimate dive buddy. Yep, "Habeas buddy". I had several occasions in which I was refused this elementary service even if I was really diving with a buddy which was coming from another town already with his own private tank, and they would hear about it...

What's funny, that I completely agree with you that swimming is by far more dangerous and there are by far more fatalities while swimming in the sea (and pools), lots of bike accidents, people dying while trekking in our desert etc. etc. but nobody even dares to dream on trying pass a law that forces the people to take "bike riding **" courses, dictate what equipment a trekker must have when he goes backpacking in the desert, or force a swimmer to have a "guided refresh swim" if he fails to prove that he has been swimming within the past six months.. But we are stuck with the stupid "scuba law".

But hey, you'll also find lots of dumb laws in the US :D for example, in Alabama it is illegal to sell peanuts after sundown (on Wednesdays) or to wear a fake mustache that causes laugher in church... Or, did you know that in Texas it is forbidden to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing??? In some countries it is forbidden to step on currency notes with the image of the dictator (probably very relevant nowadays in Libia).

And, if you've mentioned bathtubs, did you know in LA it is not legal to bathe two babies at the same time in the same tub??? :eyebrow:

But hey, you'll also find lots of dumb laws in the US for example, in Alabama it is illegal to sell peanuts after sundown (on Wednesdays) or to wear a fake mustache that causes laugher in church... Or, did you know that in Texas it is forbidden to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing??? In some countries it is forbidden to step on currency notes with the image of the dictator (probably very relevant nowadays in Libia).

Point well taken. I guess dumb laws that are designed to protect you from your self just really get to me. I'm glad I live in a state where the state motto is (LIVE FREE OR DIE).

I live in Israel. I am not sure, but I think it is the only country in the world in which scubadiving is regulated by state law :shakehead:

The law passed in the parliament back in the 60s. Following a few cases of diving accidents, a group of lobbyists who had commercial interest in regulating all scuba activities managed to convince some legislators that if the government won't take action there will be lots of fatalities etc. At that time, scuba was considered an extreme dangerous activity and the law passed.

So, a government "scubadiving authority" was established which was also the certifying agency, and also in charge of forcing the law. This authority, how surprisingly, was composed from the lobbyist that I've mentioned. This "scuba authority" established many regulations some of them may be perceived "good" and others seem a little odd and nowadays they just appear anachronistic.

Among these regulations are things like the obligation of certain scuba equipment that divers MUST carry. For example, the law states that a diver MUST carry a BCD. Now, if you dive in the summer, with only swimsuit and an AL tank you don't really need a BCD whatsoever, but the law says you must.

Thus, MonkeyDiving is actually illegal in our waters, as well a solo diving, or diving without the "proper" gear that is listed in the law.

And it goes on, such as insurance obligation, the permission to dive only if a valid dive in the logbook within 6 months (for OW and AOW divers) etc. etc.

Then, this authority have some "rangers" or "scuba police" which are supposed also to make sure the air compressors in dive clubs is well maintained, make sure divers are diving "in accordance with the law" and there have been cases in which they made summons to divers "for an investigation" or tried to confiscate c-cards from divers.

As you can see, dive clubs are extremely afraid of this scuba police because they can shut down the operation for a couple of months etc, so they are quite zealous of making sure everything a diver does is according the law, so if you come alone to fill your tanks, some dive ops will refuse before you show them a legitimate dive buddy. Yep, "Habeas buddy". I had several occasions in which I was refused this elementary service even if I was really diving with a buddy which was coming from another town already with his own private tank, and they would hear about it...

What's funny, that I completely agree with you that swimming is by far more dangerous and there are by far more fatalities while swimming in the sea (and pools), lots of bike accidents, people dying while trekking in our desert etc. etc. but nobody even dares to dream on trying pass a law that forces the people to take "bike riding **" courses, dictate what equipment a trekker must have when he goes backpacking in the desert, or force a swimmer to have a "guided refresh swim" if he fails to prove that he has been swimming within the past six months.. But we are stuck with the stupid "scuba law".

But hey, you'll also find lots of dumb laws in the US :D for example, in Alabama it is illegal to sell peanuts after sundown (on Wednesdays) or to wear a fake mustache that causes laugher in church... Or, did you know that in Texas it is forbidden to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing??? In some countries it is forbidden to step on currency notes with the image of the dictator (probably very relevant nowadays in Libia).

And, if you've mentioned bathtubs, did you know in LA it is not legal to bathe two babies at the same time in the same tub??? :eyebrow:

So I guess that "same ocean (or sea) same day" won't work in Israel.
ZDD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom