when/where whale sharks - split from Basking Shark in NoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobeeno

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would love to see a basking shark. I swam with whale sharks this summer in Mexico. It's thrilling to see an animal that large. Gets some pics of that shark please.

Where and when in Mexico can one see Whale sharks?

Where and when in Mexico can one see Whale sharks?

Mobeeno, there are a couple of places but the most popular and probably the best is off the Yucatan Peninsula Northeast of Cancun. The island of Holbox is a popular launch point for these trips. It's where the Caribbean meets the Gulf of Mexico and there's lots of plankton for these magnificent critters to munch on. You can only snorkel with them, no diving. Season runs from May through September mostly. We did this last year and it's one of the most intense experiences of my adult life. So if you're planning a trip to the Cancun/Playa Del Carmen/Cozumel area at that time of year, it's an excellent day (or two) outing. Here's some further info:

Isla Holbox: information,tours,whale sharks,pictures: Mexico

I've also heard they send up helicopters south of the Baja area to locate these critters as they are there as well. I guess the boats follow the coordinates once spotted. But I have little info on this....all second hand.

Mark

theres your answer,
jun to sept are the months that operators will guarentee whale sharks, you can actually see them as early as april and as late as oct but these are fluke sightings! the whale sharks come for the food (plankton) so they are here for one reason only and thats to eat! this also means like marcus said, snorkeling, as the sharks are mostly on the surface. the food also attracts giant manta rays, dolphins, golden rays in massive groups and much much more.....
the only down side to this mass feeding season is the viz, with the plankton so strong and dense viz averages bewteen 15-30ft only.
la paz and baja also have common sightings of the whale sharks but if you want no hassle, guarenteed action then isla holbox or isla contoy are your options!
next june and onwards the sharks will be back!

Back
Top Bottom